Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Banned Vendors and Products

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
photolinger's Avatar
photolinger
Status: Offline
Arabian Sensation

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,364
Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
What the h*** are you talking about? "Slanderous Post." Go take a hike...
I feel like that part of the statement wasn't aimed at you Chas.
__________________

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
  #52  
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I just deleted this last series of posts because we don't allow the discussion of banned vendors in any way. Positive. Negative. Direct. Euphemistic.

Come on people.
  #53  
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
littlec
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 595
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolinger View Post
I feel like that part of the statement wasn't aimed at you Chas.
It wasn't... o_0
  #54  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Zanaspus's Avatar
Zanaspus
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,565
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I'm not sure I deserve to be in this discussion as I've only been around here for a couple of days. That said, I don't see listing banned vendors/products as a bad thing. Yes, I have underwear older than the majority of users here, and I have the class to avoid things that mods declare off limits. It's a thankless job.

However, I may be more willing to do research than most, and 10 minutes and google will yield the entire list of good/banned/indifferent vendors and products. I'm rather more concerned about breaking rules that I don't know exist. I've done it once, and I've never been banned from any forum I've participated in.

It just seems to me that being punished for breaking rules that are impossible to verify is a lot like the scene in cold war Russia, dictatorships and fascist regimes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing this board, its owner or its mods of being that extreme. I just think clear knowledge of rules is invaluable.

Finally, in my own case, if I KNEW who's banned, it would actually prevent me from supporting them. Two sides to every story, and my two cents. I'll shut up now.
  #55  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
skeetsak
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 305
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post
I can see banning a vendor's account here, but banning members from mentioning his name and even to go so far as his products seems odd, and most of us members who use those products think it's a poor rule. After all, if there were a vendor who were banned for ripping people off, other members would find out about the character of that vendor, and if that vendor were mentioned we would all jump in and say, "no! that vendor is no good!" But to ban us from even talking about it is either to say 1.) you don't know how to protect yourself from rip-off vendors so we are doing it for you, or 2.) we are going to do everything in our power to prevent this vendor from getting business because he broke our website rules.

i personally like the 'banned vendor' coals and bowl. they're what i prefer to use, and it's a pity i can't tell others about them because it's against the rules, for one of the 2 reasons above.

it may be time to have some serious discussion about revising the hookahpro rules on this matter.

just my 2 cents.
i agree 100% with this staement
  #56  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Twitchy15's Avatar
Twitchy15
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada
Posts: 2,477
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
i agree 100% with this staement

i half agree, cause yes some of the products are good.

but the guy whos selling them isn;t .. such a good guy... id rather buy other peoples products then help him out
  #57  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post
I can see banning a vendor's account here, but banning members from mentioning his name and even to go so far as his products seems odd, and most of us members who use those products think it's a poor rule. After all, if there were a vendor who were banned for ripping people off, other members would find out about the character of that vendor, and if that vendor were mentioned we would all jump in and say, "no! that vendor is no good!" But to ban us from even talking about it is either to say 1.) you don't know how to protect yourself from rip-off vendors so we are doing it for you, or 2.) we are going to do everything in our power to prevent this vendor from getting business because he broke our website rules.

i personally like the 'banned vendor' coals and bowl. they're what i prefer to use, and it's a pity i can't tell others about them because it's against the rules, for one of the 2 reasons above.

it may be time to have some serious discussion about revising the hookahpro rules on this matter.

just my 2 cents.

I completely disagree. Regardless for the reasons a vendor was banned, they were banned. It makes it easier on the users and the MOD's to have the vendors and the talk of said vendors (products and otherwise) banned from the discussions. This way there are no TOS rules that are broken.

I persaonlly feel the bowls are shite. However, thats a personal opinion. The banned vendors were banned for a reason. If you go to a certain hookah forum and look at the banned vendor list. There is a long list of competeing vendors that are banned. Kinda funny really.

I think the HP site has done a good job with the banned vendor rules and not showing favoritism regardless of personal feelings on products or service. I dont think a vendor being band makes their products bad per say. However it should make the HP crowd not really want to support the said vendor due to either bad morals, products, or busniness practices. ( the very reasons they were banned)

Dont get me wrong. Im all out for people making a buck. However, make a buck honestly without trying to screw your neighbor. Fair and honest businiess competion is the only way to do that.

thats my 2 cents....
__________________
(*Disclaimer* These are my opinions and mine alone. It does not reflect the opinions of others and is based on my personal smoking enjoyment and experience)
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7368_3.gif
GO KINGS!
  #58  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
skeetsak
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 305
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayter View Post
I completely disagree. Regardless for the reasons a vendor was banned, they were banned. It makes it easier on the users and the MOD's to have the vendors and the talk of said vendors (products and otherwise) banned from the discussions. This way there are no TOS rules that are broken.

I persaonlly feel the bowls are shite. However, thats a personal opinion. The banned vendors were banned for a reason. If you go to a certain hookah forum and look at the banned vendor list. There is a long list of competeing vendors that are banned. Kinda funny really.

I think the HP site has done a good job with the banned vendor rules and not showing favoritism regardless of personal feelings on products or service. I dont think a vendor being band makes their products bad per say. However it should make the HP crowd not really want to support the said vendor due to either bad morals, products, or busniness practices. ( the very reasons they were banned)

Dont get me wrong. Im all out for people making a buck. However, make a buck honestly without trying to screw your neighbor. Fair and honest businiess competion is the only way to do that.

thats my 2 cents....
im not sure what you are saying can you rephrase that?

are you implying that the banned list is an easy way for noobs to sort through the vast amount of vendors. if so i agree but having an institution do your thinking for you is a bad habit to get into.

the point of a forum is to have a place for discussion and for people to draw their own conclusions. having mods draw conclusions for you would not be "right" (for lack of a better word)
  #59  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
BobMarley's Avatar
BobMarley
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I don't like the fact that a big part of this site is hookah products but we're not allowed to talk about all of them. Seems a little extreme. Ban talk of the vendor, sure, but his products are blossoming out to many other sites now so it seems to be overkill to me.
  #60  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
ivan1ruiz's Avatar
ivan1ruiz
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

i see why some vendors were banned and some of the products are great. oh well tho rules are rules. and like previously stated they are just looking out for us.
__________________
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
  #61  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Scootertaj's Avatar
Scootertaj
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan1ruiz View Post
i see why some vendors were banned and some of the products are great. oh well tho rules are rules. and like previously stated they are just looking out for us.
This isn't about why he was banned, it's about discussing his products which are sold at supported vendors sites.
__________________
  #62  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
Zanaspus's Avatar
Zanaspus
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,565
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertaj View Post
Ok you should stop posting here if you don't know why he was banned.
This isn't about why he was banned, it's about discussing his products which are sold at supported vendors sites.
I disagree. I love to deal with good people. If I knew what made him less than good, I could make a much more informed decision. I'm new here, so I have no idea.

BTW, I apologize to mods for stirring up a hornets' nest.
  #63  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Scootertaj's Avatar
Scootertaj
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,792
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I could have sworn there was still the thread explaining why. Is there not?
But, you should be able to read through this thread and understand why.
__________________
  #64  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetsak View Post
im not sure what you are saying can you rephrase that?

are you implying that the banned list is an easy way for noobs to sort through the vast amount of vendors. if so i agree but having an institution do your thinking for you is a bad habit to get into.

the point of a forum is to have a place for discussion and for people to draw their own conclusions. having mods draw conclusions for you would not be "right" (for lack of a better word)
Im not sure what needs to be clarified. LOl.

What i was stating in the highlited text from your qoute was basically that rules are rules. Banning the discussion of the vendor and the vendors specific products mankes it easier on all of us to not break TOS rules. It has nothing to do with doing anyones thinking for them.

I dont think this site has ever said OMG thats a banned vendor, you cant buy from them. However, I do know the site or MOD's have said hey that is a banned vendor, here is why choose wisely.

I still deal with and purchase from the said "banned vendor" I just dont discuss it due to TOS. Simple as that. There is always PM's problem solved.
__________________
(*Disclaimer* These are my opinions and mine alone. It does not reflect the opinions of others and is based on my personal smoking enjoyment and experience)
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7368_3.gif
GO KINGS!
  #65  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:17 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

If you look at our rules and our plea for harmony rules, it is all clearly explained.

We don't allow the discussion of banned vendors in any way. Positive, negative, direct, or euphemistic. We don't want drama on our boards and inviting discussion of such things always ends in a flame war. Banned products are the same thing. Too charged and the discussion almost always ends up being about the ban or banned vendor and we refuse to harbor drama. There are plenty of other places where such flame wars and drama are encouraged.
  #66  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Zanaspus's Avatar
Zanaspus
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,565
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
If you look at our rules and our plea for harmony rules, it is all clearly explained.

We don't allow the discussion of banned vendors in any way. Positive, negative, direct, or euphemistic. We don't want drama on our boards and inviting discussion of such things always ends in a flame war. Banned products are the same thing. Too charged and the discussion almost always ends up being about the ban or banned vendor and we refuse to harbor drama. There are plenty of other places where such flame wars and drama are encouraged.
I couldn't agree more. But exactly how do I avoid flame wars and drama if I don't know what I'm supposed to not mention? I may be obtuse, but the plea for harmony doesn't tell me anything about vendors/products. My mama always taught me to have the good sense not to mention a competitor (in this case another forum) when I'm in someone's house. I've never referenced a competing forum in any forum I've ever belonged to. I'd just love to fit in and NOT cause drama.

Any tips?
  #67  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
ivan1ruiz's Avatar
ivan1ruiz
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,185
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertaj View Post
This isn't about why he was banned, it's about discussing his products which are sold at supported vendors sites.
I see your point but rules are rules. This is a great place and if people dont like the rules then nobody is forcing anyone to stay here nor does anyone pay for any subscription. If you donate to be an elite member is just that, A DONATION, and anyone is welcomed to go somewhere else.
__________________
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/profile.php?do=updatesignature#sigpic
  #68  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:21 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
I couldn't agree more. But exactly how do I avoid flame wars and drama if I don't know what I'm supposed to not mention? I may be obtuse, but the plea for harmony doesn't tell me anything about vendors/products. My mama always taught me to have the good sense not to mention a competitor (in this case another forum) when I'm in someone's house. I've never referenced a competing forum in any forum I've ever belonged to. I'd just love to fit in and NOT cause drama.

Any tips?
We catch the mentions, edit them out and send a simple warning. Most members will never even see this. If mentions continue after the warning then bans are handed out.
  #69  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
BobMarley's Avatar
BobMarley
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I understand the logic but I think it falls short when products offered by supported vendors are not allowed to be discussed. My two cents. I'm happy here so don't mind me.
  #70  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
I understand the logic but I think it falls short when products offered by supported vendors are not allowed to be discussed. My two cents. I'm happy here so don't mind me.
Ill agree with this. But i honestly dont think I have personally ever come across this issue. Or seen this to be a problem.

Honestly IMO the people that have the most problems with this, are the supporters of said banned vendors. They are the ones that disagree with the ban in the first place. The rest of the people that are on this forum couldnt really care less about the issues i dont think.
__________________
(*Disclaimer* These are my opinions and mine alone. It does not reflect the opinions of others and is based on my personal smoking enjoyment and experience)
http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic7368_3.gif
GO KINGS!
  #71  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
michaelsteele's Avatar
michaelsteele
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,140
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

As a voluntary community, spread over every continent in the world, it's important that some basic rules are established, less chaos reign and spoil a very great forum. Every member is expected to abide by the rules, every vendor is expected to abide by the rules, and no one member or vendor can decide, by themselves, what rules they will follow and what rules they won't.

It's not wrong to have 'self-interests' in the back of your mind, if you're a vendor. But every vendor out there feels that way also. So, under HP policies, all vendors have an equal shot at having their 'self-interests' preserved by the HP policies. Sounds fair and reasonable to me!

In almost every aspect of life conflict begins when people, institutions, countries, regions think 'their interests are more important than 'my interests'. They're dead wrong. Only through mutual respect and a little tolerance can this forum continue to be the best hookah website on the planet. The HP rules are basic, understandable, consistent and reasonable, drafted for the benefit of everyone. Thanks to everyone for such a great group!
__________________

Last edited by michaelsteele; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
  #72  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Zanaspus's Avatar
Zanaspus
Status: Offline
Hookah Aficionado
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 1,565
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
We catch the mentions, edit them out and send a simple warning. Most members will never even see this. If mentions continue after the warning then bans are handed out.
Now that works for me. Thank you! And again, sorry to raise the dead.
  #73  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
kalutika's Avatar
kalutika
Status: Offline
Mad Alchemist

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,250
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
Now that works for me. Thank you! And again, sorry to raise the dead.
No worries. I'm here to help.
  #74  
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
mimi_pantalones's Avatar
mimi_pantalones
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I just want to say thank you to photolinger for taking the time out to explain everything to the members in the manner he did. It was both tasteful and informative.
As a newer member on this forum, I was never one to see a lot of the spamming, but I understand this forum's view and support its decision regarding said vendor.
I'll be more careful regarding my posts in the future now understanding everything that has happened between this venue and the vendor.

Thank you again photolinger as well as all the other people that created and keep up this forum. It's concept and execution are the best that I've seen or had the privilege to be a part of. I couldn't be happier with Hookahpro. c:
  #75  
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM
SpiritWolf's Avatar
SpiritWolf
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ardmore, Oklahoma
Posts: 956
Default Re: Banned Vendors and Products

I know who the banned vendor is I will not ever talk about or buy from them they are over priced. Any who they were banned for a reason. That is all that matters to me... But thanks for the post. It helps.
__________________
On the day I was born the devil woke in a cold sweatand said... OH SHIT HE'S HERE!!!
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do we want more traditional products? (Vendors, Are you paying attention?) Coyotero Hookah Discussion 91 March 30th, 2012 05:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.