Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Hajo Files

Hookah Discussion

Closed Thread Share

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

A Honest Look at Ebay

I doubt that anyone interested in the wonderful world of narghiles and mu'essel hasn’t spent some time bargain hunting on ebay. Yet the pitfalls are many and caution should be your prime concern. I have lots of friends from my club with tons of experiences over the last couple of years which I hope a few of the readers here can benefit from.

One thing you need to remember when prowling around ebay is that tobacco products are forbidden and that ebay seems to be totally unpredictable in it’s enforcement of it’s own rules. I know of a recent deal in which a friend of mine bought a gorgeous narghile for 300 USD from an overseas seller which a day or so afer the sale was declared in violation of ebay policy which means that buyer protection and the ability to leave feedback vanished. In the three months since the supposed shipment the item never arrived and the item is in dispute with paypal.

Everyone should know that paypal doesn’t allow it’s service to be used for anything that the company doesn’t approve of, like buying tobacco as well as lots of other things, so if you have a problem with a purchase of tobacco based mu'essel your chances of getting any help from paypal or ebay are about zero. The most common problems with buying shisha on ebay is getting a brand other then what you paid for, getting far less then what you paid for and getting some unknown, stale product in a sandwich bag. So only spend as much on shisha (not made by Soex or Black Label) as you are willing to flush down the toilet.

Anther thing to keep in mind is that it’s a really bad idea to purchase used narghiles on ebay because you have no way of knowing how they have been used. Misuse has resulted in two cases of legal trouble for fellow club members of mine which resulted in jail time for one of them.

Some of the big sellers on ebay are very problematic. In part it’s because several of them know very little about our passion other then how much money they are making and fraud is rampant.
Instances of purchases taking weeks or even months to arrive (if ever) are legion. As are incomplete, damaged and unusable goods and sellers that ignore customer complaints.

I know of more cases then I care to remember of poorly made (but nice looking) narghiles and related merchandise advertised as being of Egyptian, Syrian, Lebanese or Jordanian manufacture
in fact being nothing more then slave labor made Chinese junk. These sorts of narghiles rarely fit together properly and almost never are usable for over a year.

The bargain hunter should also know that many supposedly Japanese silver coals and Three Kings are not what they claim to be. It’s common to get such products in genuine boxes but the actual product is clearly something inferior in obviously faked/re-used packaging.

When looking at a seller’s feedback note carefully not just the negative responses but also retractions as these are often a product of “feedback blackmail”. Typically, sleazy sellers will threaten unhappy customers with negative feedback or worse in response to complaints resulting in both sides retracting feedback. You should also know that sometimes unhappy buyers leave feedback that while marked as positive have very negative comments. Lastly, a lot of feedback is from sock puppets, former members and for items not related to narghiles so be extremely careful which sellers you deal with.

So far, my comments about ebay have been very negative but some good points need to be mentioned as well.

Honest sellers do exist on ebay and good deals can be had occasionally. In terms of major sellers I can only recommend Caravansarai as having functional products at very good prices. The owner and his wife are very nice and give first rate service. The construction quality doesn’t look too good upon close inspection but his products give fine service for several years and are a great value.

Almost all antique narghiles offered on ebay are in poor condition and wildly over priced. Still, I know of two genuinely fantastic bargains in antique narghiles that have popped up this year so it is possible to make a real score if you know what to look for in that market segment. If you do buy an antique in need work take it to a professional craftsmen with experience in narghile construction and be ready to spend several hundred or more dollars or don’t bother.

Lastly, the occasional beauty brought home by some American soldier shows up but such events are so rare that it’s almost not worth mentioning.
Old June 10th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Well I decided to put up a few choice bits about the problems with the anti-tobacco position along with plenty of my own commentary which I hope will generate a bit of thinking among a few here.

To start with let review what the often mentioned but never read Surgeon General Reports these quotes come from the great book “In Defense of Smoking” Lauren Colby

“ The 1964 Report was issued by a committee of ten "scientists", picked from a list of 150 scientists and physicians, heavily weighted towards government agencies and large organizations active in public relations, with a low representation from the scientific community. There were no statisticians on the panel, although statistical expertise was essential to a proper analysis of the epidemiological studies, which formed a large part of the "evidence" which was studied. In 1965, a prominent statistician, K.A. Brownlee, of the University of Chicago, wrote a scathing review of the Report, pointing to many discrepancies in the statistical data. I will refer to that later 17 .

Prior to the writing of the Report, numerous experiments had been conducted, attempting to induce lung cancer in laboratory animals by painting their lungs and trachea with cigarette tars, forcing the animals to inhale vast quantities of tobacco smoke, etc. All of these experiments failed, miserably! Consequently, at page 165 of its Report, the Committee was obliged to concede that "Bronchogenic carcinoma has not been produced by the application of tobacco extracts, smoke, or condensates to the lung or the tracheobronchial tree of experimental animals with the possible exception of dogs".

The phrase "possible exception of dogs" related to a single experiment, of which the Committee wrote that "this work has not yet been confirmed". To this day, it remains unconfirmed and it remains true, to this day, that despite hundreds of experiments18, nobody has been able to induce a single cancer in lab animals by exposing them to ordinary tobacco products or smoke.

Other researchers attempted to induce lung cancer in lab animals by using nasty combinations of industrial strength carcinogens. They used mixtures of ozonized gasoline and mouse-adapted influence viruses; polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, directly applied to the lungs of rats; mixtures of benzo(a)pyrene and iron oxide dust; radioactive cerium; and beryllium oxide. Even with these noxious brews, the results were not entirely successful. For one thing, some of the experimenters reported "distant metastases", i.e., tumors occurring in sites far from the lungs (which makes me wonder whether the "treatments" had simply weakened the animals' immune systems to the point at which cancers were springing up spontaneously throughout their bodies). Moreover, not all the animals got sick. For example, two out of ten rhesus monkeys injected with beryllium oxide developed cancers but 8 did not.”

The crux of what has been explained rests upon two matters. First, the panel tasked with composing the report was the product of an active effort to form a group pre-disposed to be influenced by political pressure which should say a lot about the credibility of the panel. Those of the readers who have dealt with large bureaucracies (be they public or private sector) are undoubtably aware that committees dealing with regulatory matters are typical composed with the purpose affirming a pre-determined position rather then honestly examining a given issue. A decent treatment of the Surgeon General’s panel can be found by consulting the following: Brownlee. K.A. (1965), A Review of "Smoking and Health", J. Amer. Statist. Ass. 60, 722-739.

Secondly I will draw the reader back to the critical matter that - "Bronchogenic carcinoma has not been produced by the application of tobacco extracts, smoke, or condensates to the lung or the tracheobronchial tree of experimental animals with the possible exception of dogs" In short, efforts to produce lung cancer via massively concentrating tobacco products within the confines of empirical testing failed. In and of itself, such a revelation would have resulted in the production of a report showing something other then the claim that smoking tobacco causes lung cancer.

Instead, what happened is that a panel ill-suited to statistical analysis sought to force data into supporting a pre-determined position that tobacco consumption represented a great social evil that needed to be suppressed, heavily taxed and demonized via an intensive program of public indoctrination.

The supposedly scientific basis for such public policy came from quasi-empirical studies lacking the reproducibility found in the controlled environs of a laboratory. Returning to Colby we learn that:
“ The animal experiments having failed, the Committee was left with retrospective studies and prospective studies. Retrospective studies are studies in which cancer patients are interviewed about their smoking habits and compared with another group of controls from the general population, whose smoking habits are likewise identified. In prospective studies, a population is sampled, their smoking habits are ascertained, and they are then followed for a number of years, to determine who develops the disease.”

He then goes on to describe how carefully cherry picking studies which seemed to support the anti-tobacco position the panel hoped to show a scientific consensus supporting the anti-tobacco position was beyond question. Yet even with such shoddy methods the panel failed to provide sustenance for their position. Rather what was discovered was that:

“Then, at page 116 of its Report, the Committee made the following curious observation. Citing a paper by Berkson 20 , the Committee said, "The death rate in the complete population (3.000) was 42% higher than the respondent death rate. The non-smoker death rate was over 38 times as high among non-respondents as among respondents (60.1221/1.553), whereas among smokers it was only 1.8 times as high. [Berkson's] calculations referred to an early year of the study, in which the differential entry of ill persons among smokers and non-smokers are likely to be most marked. Further, as we interpret his writing, the example was intend ed as a warning against the type of subtle bias that can arise whenever a study has a high proportion of non respondents, rather than a claim that this numerical estimate of the bias actually applied to these studies".

Thus, the Committee was confronted with what should have been a red flag: a finding that the death rate amongst non responding non-smokers was 38 times as great as the rate amongst responding non-smokers, whereas the death rate among non-responding smokers was only 1.8 times as great as the death rate among corresponding respondents. It is apparent, even to a layman, that such a major discrepancy could greatly skew the results of the surveys. Yet, the Committee brushed the point aside, saying, in substance, that it didn't think that Berkson meant what he wrote!”

At this point the panel that composed to report could be seen by even a casual observer to be utterly lacking in intellectual honesty and competency. Anyone attempting to support such a ridiculous position as that taken by the panel in an introductory social science methodology course would be justifiably flunked.

Colby goes on to point out that the panel had no explanations for the far lower cancer rates among cigar and pipe smokers despite the fact that cigar and pipe tobacco has far higher quantities of benz(a)pyrene which is commonly viewed as a carcinogen that naturally occurs in tobacco. In fact, a key study upon which the report heavily depended upon found pipe and cigar smokers having a longer life expectancy then non-smokers. Rather then allow such facts to influence it’s position the panel noted, then ignored them in the report they composed.

Later, a great deal of time is spent discussing that cigarette smokers are disproportionately drawn from the low socio-economic rungs of society and as a result, numerous variables that clearly influence morality figures make it difficult to see how tobacco consumption or any other variable could be weighted as a risk factor within the confines of prospective and retrospective studies done by statistical neophytes. Among the factors mentioned (but not addressed) by the panel are that people from low socio-economic groups are more likely to be afflicted with: hazardous occupations, higher exposure levels to hazardous fumes and chemicals, a worse diet, higher obesity rates and tend to receive less medical care and lower quality care. While the panel noted that socio-economic status may have been a weakness within the study they chose not let that little detail temper the conclusions reached.

Colby noted correctly that the panel completely overlooked the matter of detection bias which is covered as follows:

“ While the Committee did, in fact, acknowledge the possibility of bias due to SES, it appears to have overlooked entirely another important source of bias. That is detection bias. Remember, everybody enrolled in the studies knew what was being studied, and their doctors knew that, also. Thus, everybody was waiting with baited breath for the smokers to develop lung cancer. I will discuss the role of detection bias in more detail in the next chapter. It should be noted, however, that the methodology followed in the SG's studies was calculated to exaggerate the possibility of detection bias, because the researchers were concentrating heavily upon the hypothesis that smoking causes lung cancer.

In the British Doctor's study, for example, all deaths in which lung cancer was a contributing cause were classified as deaths from lung cancer, even though the direct cause of death may have been something else (Report, page 101). It is interesting, in that regard, that the British Doctor's study was the one which purported to show the highest risk for lung cancer, from smoking 24 .

The British Doctors study in question (Doll and Hill, in 1956) which is often cited by the panel and anti-tobacco lobbyists as well as it’s 1991 follow up is virtual case study of how not to conduct research. "The original case-control studies by Wynder and Graham and by Doll and Hill are still used in a famous epidemiologic exercise....where they serve as examples of what can go wrong: biased ascertainment of exposure, selection of cases and controls from different source populations, poor ascertainment of caseness, etc..." From page 427 of Invited Commentary: How Much Retropsychology?, by J.P. Vandenbroucke, Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Leiden University Hospital, American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol 133, Number 5, March 1, 1991, (pages 426-7).

Yet somehow, we never heard about these issues from the media , the government or the anti-tobacco establishment which just shows that science is often used to carry water for those with public policy agendas to persue. Yet even more startling is the admission by Doll himself in 2001 that his study was designed as a propaganda tool to promote an anti-tobacco agenda. Nonetheless, the Doll study and the Surgeon Generals report it props up is still viewed by the public, media and government as proof of the pernicious threat posed by tobacco consumption to this day.

In the end I can see the great benefit that Surgeon Generals Reports to the anti-tobacco lobby depends upon it not being read by anyone with the least degree of mythological literacy. Instead, it serves as an effective tool to deceive an ignorant public when cited by media and government sources actively disdainful of academic honesty.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Yesterday, I was sitting around after dinner about a block from my house in this picnic area having a smoke with my friend Yamha who brought her small (around 60cm) Egyptian that I have which is a pretty average rig in my view. We are enjoying ourselves chatting when a couple of fat, balding guys come up a start asking us what sort of dope we’re smoking. Yamha says we are smoking Ashafani tombac (she had a little left over from her last trip home) and the fat guys say something like “yeah right, whatever”.

What happened next pissed me off big time when one of the fat guys looks at Yamha and says “you look foreign, are you sorta muslim?” Yamha responds with “your pretty sharp, I guess nothing gets by you” At this point I’m annoyed and pipe up “actually, she looks Arab because one she is one and a Christian one at that”. The second fat guy says something about how all Arabs are Muslims and he doesn’t like what ever we are smoking. The first fat guys starts blabbing about how “he’s gonna call the FBI” and we are going to get deported. I laugh and tell them to go ahead.

By this time a few other people are hanging around watching the fracas when one of the fat guys walks over and knocks over the narghile. I start yelling at the guy that did it while Yamha says we need to leave and is tugging on my arm. So we start to walk away while both the fat guys are screaming stuff about how horrible Arabs are.

Sometimes I wonder why my neighborhood is as quite and as peaceful as it is given such cretins live so close by.
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

No listing exists in the tobacco section so I put it here. Any mod should feel free to move it.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Satisfaction Review

Last night I stopped by the club and my friend Atiff offered me a bowl of a mu'essel I never heard of before called Satisfaction (I think it is written as رضاء ) which he had brought back from Lebanon.

Brand and Flavor: Satisfaction. Flavour is unknown as I didn’t see the package

Cut: Short, it looked like flake cut pipe tobacco with a reddish brown colour. No stems and very gooey.

Narghile: Lebanese about 70cm tall with Syrian style head and stem made of cedar and stainless steel.

Duration: About 90 minutes

Bowl: Syrian style glazed ceramic with about 20 gr. capacity

Foil: The pre-cut kind with holes punched by one of those plastic punchers

Charcoal: 1 piece of Akhla broken in half replaced 3 times during session

Smoke: Dense, white smoke in small quantities.

Buzz: I have never gotten a buzz from smoking so none for me

Smell: Like Black Current

Taste: At first it tastes exactly like Black Current but as the flavour lingers on the tongue it fades to an aftertaste of light cavendish and honey until the next draw when the original flavour returns. Very pleasant, natural taste with a subtle and complicated after taste. A real change from the more popular styles of shisha. When we finished smoking what was left was a small, hard, black disk shaped bit. A possible downside is that it turned the water in the vase a tan/brown colour.

rating: 8/10 More smoke would be nice but the flavour and look was wonderful. A delightful change from what I’m used to.
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Satisfaction Review

It was pretty interesting smoke. I like black current a lot ( I make meads and perrys with it ) so the flavour was appealing. The Cavendish flavour was only an aftertaste and it was more of a golden rather then dark kind of flavour. If you want a pipe tobacco flavour, but sweeter, i'd recommend Shîh 'el-beled which I love but it's not imported which is strange as it's pretty popular.

A while ago I was talking to a guy over at the Adel Ahmed El Ibiary Company and they said that planned on making something along the lines I've always wanted, a shisha with a pipe flavour. Specifically, Syrian Latikia (these days that style comes from Turkey mostly) and Perique mixed with cavendish. I tell you, that would be a heavenly combination.
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Last night my band Ethereal Ω played at a rented armory with 4 other bands to something like 5-700 and it was a blast. No egos, no fights just positive people having a good time listening to heavy garage and psych music. The whole thing went better then expected and all the feedback was great.
Old July 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: My Band's show

I just play guitar, psaltery, rebec and lute although I wouldn't say my playing is anything special. Basically, i've got two bands - Ethereal Ω & Abyssic Light which basically do heavy space rock. If you like stuff like Crome, Farflung and Outskirts of Infinity you'll like what we do. No one in either bands know anything about computers so a website is out and while both bands have well made demos no CDs are planned at the moment.

The big draw for the show had nothing to do with anything I did but still, a good time was had by all.
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Here's some excellent really Kraut Rock stuff I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q19C220Vvo

http://members.aol.com/losafa/spizd.ram

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy9bRGmU0A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvCt0hb6gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFrr5u6f1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2u5T-iOYpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DON-CogKcfk

I a few of you can get into some of this
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Spaceman 3 and Loop are two my best loved modern bands. Those of you into psychotropic music should check this stuff out and get the music if you don't have it already. All of these tunes are damn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWvwAhhsl_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg5D-CqDoI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mi-Xsz1b5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJdBZGA6TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Ve08Acnng (Really cool cover of a song from the '60s Texas Band Red Crayola)
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

First Time Stupidity

Using a narghile is not exactly intuitive (at least not for most Occidentals) and often the first attempt doesn’t work out too well.

Years ago I was in Damascus looking over the instillation of some bottling equipment at a plant and lost my pouch of Latakia so I spent some time wondering around looking for a pipe shop. I wondered into a shop and found a bunch of older men smoking narghile which I had seen before but never used.

I ask the guy at the counter if he spoke English and he said he did so I ask him what tobacco he could recommend and he gave me a box of Al Waha Bahraini. I thought it smelled great so I opened it and I was wondering what this red, liquid like stuff was. Not wanting to look stupid by asking how to use this strange goo I scooped out some with my fingers and plopped it right into my Peterson’s Calabash and worked like crazy to light it with my Zippo.

Everyone in the shop stopped, watched me closely and burst out laughing. Undeterred I keep tamping, loosening and trying to get the stuff to burn to howls of laughter from the patrons.

Embarrassed, I left the shop quickly throwing the Al Waha in the trash and emptying my pipe a block or so away.

When I explained to a guy I was working with what happened he laughed and showed me how to use mu'essel latter that evening at a café he liked. Thus started a long, beautiful relationship between narghiles and myself.

Anyone got a stupid a stupid story about your first smoke?
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

Those of you open to adventurous rock with no hint of commercial compromise should look into the the following:

http://hop.to/darksun

http://www.geocities.com/psuedosun/

http://www.oresundspacecollective.com/

Those of you looking for something a bit more mainstream yet still free from corporate control should consider Nik Turner of Hawkwind fame:

http://www.myspace.com/eclecticd
&
http://www.spaceritual.org/
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

As we all know, moassel has traditionally used molasses as an agglutinate which allows the tobacco to smoked using indirect heat. For the moment I won't consider honey in part because it's only commonly been used as an agglutinate in recent times and technically a tobacco product that uses it should be referred to as a tobamel.

What has not really been discussed is how do the various types of molasses effect the tastes and smoking qualities of moassel.

Real molasses is the thick syrup made from the extraction of juice sugar from sugar cane or beats which is boiled to promote crystallization and a high concentration of sugar per volume/weight.
A great many other syrups extracted from a wide verity of sources with a high sugar content exist but they should not be called molasses products even though they often are.

For our purposes I will catagorize molasses in terms of sulphured and unsulphured with the later being subdivided into first or light, second and blackstrap.

Sulphured molasses is produced a chemically complicated process of processing crushed sugar
cane with sulphur dioxide which helps to increase sugar extraction and preserve the final product. The use of sulphur dioxide allows the refiner to process less mature sugar cane into molasses and is basically a cost saving method. Unfortunately it also produces a darker, more bitter tasting product then most unsulphured products.

Unsulphured molasses extracts sugar only by boiling to cane juice and the syrup extracted after the first boil is called “light”, “first” or “golden” grade molasses. The flavour is very sweet, light and natural and lacking in bitterness or sourness and a light amber/gold like colour. Cane juice remaining after the first boil is boiled a second time and the syrup then extracted is commonly marketed as “amber” or “medium” or more often identified solely by brand name. Needless to say, second boil molasses is darker and some what more robust tasting then it’s rarer and lighter counterpart mentioned above. Finally we come to blackstrap molasses which has the lowest sugar content of all unsulphured products and is also the darkest and the least viscous. The taste of blackstrap is very robust and somewhat bitter with sweetness more subdued then in the light or amber style products.

When preparing to use a traditional muessel like Salloum Plain, AF Black, anything made by Desi Merli or Zaghloul an agglutinate is added to prepare it for smoking. After a great deal of experimenting I have found molasses a superior agglutinate to honey in that it tends to have lower water content making for a longer lasting session and is less prone to caramelization which means a less harsh smoke with the tastes of the flavourings and tobaccos blending more harmoniously with the syrup. Honey (assuming it’s raw and unfiltered) have lovely complicated flavours and a delightful bouquet. The problem is that all those qualities are very easily overwhelmed by any but the mildest of tobaccos and high quality honey is shockingly expensive. Corn syrup simply tastes nasty and burns too quickly so the real question is what sort of molasses is best suited to wetting moassel or making your own.

The answer is somewhat dependant upon the sorts of tobaccos used. However, no matter what sort of product you are making or wetting I have found blackstrap style molasses to be too strong and bitter to the point that it dominates the other tastes found in what ever you smoke.

I have found that bold/strong muessels like Price’s Kass Afriki benefit from a more robust flavouring so when I wet I’d recommend amber or second boil molasses. When making home made moassels I also recommend amber style molasses when the major leaf source is tombac. In most cases amber style molasses is best if you want to add something more then wetness and sweetness to your smoke and since amber products have a more complicated flavour profile it’s best for such applications.

Light style molasses products are better suited to tobaccos that have a varied enough flavour profile that the wetting agent doesn’t need to contribute much to the flavour profile or would benefit from a greater sense of sweetness . In practical terms that means that light molasses work best with products like Super Kass, Zaghloul, AF Soft Black or Desi Merli of any flavour.

All of this discussion is fine and well but in order to be useful what is needed is some sources for the various kinds of molasses. As a general rule I have found health food shops to be a poor source for molasses for the simple reason that they tend to carry blackstrap type products rather then the light or amber style ones.

The best source is often farmer’s markets if you know what to ask for but the problem is many of us don’t live near a decent farmer’s market or farmers that make anything but blackstrap stuff for the health food faddists. That basically leaves us with grocery stores and the internet.

In terms of the former I’d recommend Grandma's Unsulphured original style Molasses as an easy to get and reasonably priced item marketed all over the U.S. Other local brands may be good as well but don’t bother unless it specifically says it’s unsulphered and IS NOT labeled blackstrap.

In terms of the internet more choices are available and ebay provides a great source if you know what to look for.

Digging around the grocery section of amazon.com I have found a few products I have had great luck with:

Golden Barrel Supreme Baking / Barbados Molasses, Unsulphured. This is a great light style molasses.

Slow As Molasses, Dark And Zesty. This is great amber type product which is great for moassels that are too strong or lack enough sweetness/complicatedness.

Slow As Molasses, Light And Mild. This an amazingly good light molasses that is worth it’s weight in gold.
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: A Guide to Molasses Use

I think I found an amazing molasses for a good price. The Slow As Molasses brand's Light and Mild flavour has great burn characteristics and a taste that while naturally sweet doesn't overwhelm the flavours of your moassel. I think this the best option around for most applications and the price is very cheap.
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

During my present and seemingly (to me at least) epic series of journeys I got spend some time with a food chemist and tobacco enthusiast named Hilmi Murad in Tunis who holds a passion for recreating tobacco recipes of times gone by. Professor Murad owns a collection of antique narghiles as impressive as anything I’ve ever laid eyes on but even such a artworks paled in comparison to treasure trove of tobaccos he owns and his skill in crafting delightful products from them.

The good professor grows his own tobacco crops and makes moassel from scratch and I got to sample the fruits of his labour which included the original Muassel El-Zaghloul recipe. Professor Murad bought a note book at an auction a couple of years back written by Saleh Mohamed El-Ibiary of Nahkla fame which contained a recipe dated 1912 for a very nice black moassel which my friend managed to recreate.

Apparently the original Muassel El-Zaghloul recipe called for leaf that has been far too expensive to be used in an inexpensive, mass produced product like the Zaghloul known and loved by so many of us. As a result, my friend decided to obtain the needed leaf by getting the right seeds and growing his own tobacco on a small patch of land he developed himself. The Turkish leaf types used in this concoction are as follows:

1) Bitlis which is very aromatic leaf with a sugar content of about 25% from the Şemdinli region
2) Basma which comes from the Gümüşhacıköy region of Turkey which is a celebrated and expensive aromatic leaf highly prized by pipe smokers in the West.
3) The spicy/peppery Yayladağ variety
4) A mystery leaf that he wouldn’t disclose

The vast expense of importing high quality top soil, fertilizing, watering the crop and the amount of effort involved in maintaining such a diverse range of leaf by one man in his spare time demonstrated a level of commitment that deeply impressed me.

The leaves are all flute cured using the American method, destemmed and packed in cedar to age and meld for a full year in a climatically stable cellar. Next, the pieces are cut into finger wide strips about 1cm in length, mixed with an extremely light molasses he made himself and baked at a temperature he wouldn’t reveal although I think I could make an educated guess as to what it was. I would guess that molasses constituted about 30% of the weight of the final product.

I got to try it and I was simply surprised how differently this moassel was compared to anything I tried before. The first thing that struck me was the naturally sweet taste one finds in a few of the more exotic pipe tobaccos with the molasses element off in the background. Other aspects of the taste lent an earthy and slightly spicy note yet in the end everything seemed to meld rather nicely without any thing dominating. A very pleasant smoke that I found to be surprisingly mild and subtle compared to most black moassels.

Enjoying such a tobacco with an all brass narghile from the 1880s and a lovely handmade leather hose made for a delightful respite from normal life. The jazz that played the good professor’s vintage Quad electrostatic speakers managed to heighten the senses even more and the fine range of tea and fruits rounded out a fantastic experience.
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Old, very old, School Nakhla

A TV show about narghile stuff would be great but i'm not exactly photogenic as a result of not having about half a face. Still, I'd love to check out a TV where someone goes around seeing the tobacco sites of the Middle East. It's easier to get to the sort of things I do in part because Arabs, Persians Turks and the people of Goa are very friendly to foreigners and I always have a professional translator with me which is sorta a must.

I should tell you guys that about 90% of the time I spend traveling is pretty boring. Basically just sitting around talking about production schedules, plant engineering and mundane political crap.
Old November 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Old, very old, School Nakhla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
A few thoughts.

Traveling is exciting to me regardless of the purpose. Exploration is amazing and I am sad to think that there are places that I will never visit. From grand cities to arid deserts, I want to see it all.

One of my deepest wishes is the ability to speak any language. Language is sadly a very strong barrier. Happily there will always be people who are happy to work together and make a connection.

Scars are the punctuation on the stories of our lives. But I understand. Trust me, I do.
Kalutika my friend thanks for the input. It's good to hear from people that are bit more perceptive then I. My skills at languages didn't always suck since at a time I knew Lithuanian and several tongues indigenous to Southern Africa but I lost that over the years. It would be super cool to be smart enough know a good 8 or so tongues fluently but at my age learning is sorta hard.

I never really thought about my travels as anything more then a situation i'm thrust into and often I feel detached from where ever I am. I suppose I view my self wondering around in an empty field that contains the people I deal with and I see my surroundings as sensations rather then anything I feel is meaningful outside of what ever experiences come along. I don't think that is how things are just what happens.

As to scars, well, most of my stories are ones I wish I never heard told and I wonder why I am around to tell them when I shouldn't be.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

I recently had the great misfortune to get a package dropped off by DHL that I should have known better then to open when the queasy, vomit green paper it was wrapped filled me a dread similar to what one would experience reading "The Lurker at the Threshold" while lying a casket filled with moldering entrails. After spending a couple of hours trying to build up the courage to open the box I took a slug of bourbon and cut open the parcel to see what filled me with such dread. As some of you may have guessed my trembling gaze fell upon several plastic jars of “shisha tobacco” made by the perverse denizens of Gehanna such as the banal yet wicked Epic, the Stygian cruelty of King Moassel and the chemically induced malignancy that is “Buzzin wit Cuzzinz”. The package also had a get well card from my friend Javier saying he hoped to hear what I thought of his gift most cruel.

After deciding that I should attempt to use what was sent to me in good faith and be glad to be remembered I loaded up a bowl of Epic watermelon and managed to avoid drowning in glycerin with greatest of efforts I drew in some smoke and I was relieved to notice that Epic had against all odds managed to persist in making a tobacco based product that had no taste at all. I wondered how such a product could possibly remain on the market and I decided that it wasn’t the delightful sensation of having a gummy reside coat one’s mouth but rather that Epic is sold at a loss thanks to the efforts of Shoggoth worshipers seeking to deaden the senses of man to such an extent that the Elder Things can feed on us without being noticed. Such a theory is far more rational then to suggest that anyone actually enjoys smoking Epic.

After doubting Javier’s sanity for a bit I decided that I should venture forth back to the unearthly green box and challenge my slumbering taste buds to see if things could be better then my grim memories of the vile smoke of sessions past. Opening up a box of “French Cognac tobacco” by king moassel and noted a faint smell of salicylic acid and something sweet. I couldn’t force my wobbling hand to actually touch the stuff so I used a pair of tongs to fill my soon to be abused funnel bowl. The smoke hit my taste buds like a pile of used Dr Scholl’s blister pads mixed with burnt sugar and rubbing alcohol . Falling to the ground hacking and spewing like I had been inhaling sarin gas I was struck with visions of Tsathoggua slobbering over me laughing like the offspring of Peter Laurie and his reptilian lover would when he heard that he won the Olson twins on an ebay auction.

Needless to say after all this trauma I was starting to wonder if Javier had actually sent me the vomitious parcel of doom and if truly sinister forces were at work at DHL. I ate a nice bit of candied pear along with some piñón nut coffee and concluded that my frightful experiences could be nothing more then my imagination running away from me and taste buds being adversely affected by a prolong hospital stay. Surely King Moassel is not the product of some fevered product of Abdul Alhazred’s twisted mind but merely a chemical experiment gone bad.

After fooling myself in this manner I subject my long suffering funnel to a final desecration by loading it up with Cuzzinz strawberry which smelled faintly of cheap candy and of hand soap. Determined to conquer my fears I drew on my now obscenely violated hose to have my sense assaulted by a less then savory mixture of soap, tear gas, vomit and stale life savors gum I ran screaming and hacking out the door knowing that at any minute the Hounds of Tindalos would rend my limbs from me I fell to ground noting the smothering sensation of wax imprisoning every surface of my mouth causing me to furiously scrap my tongue and teeth with my finger nails in a vain attempt to free myself from the misery of that my malignant of smoke. After brushing my teeth with more vigor then I have ever know I cast my hose and bowl into the fire place and my much abused narghile into *** filled with an industrial cleaner before collapsing into a fitful sleep.

Some time latter my friend Javier called and said that he sent the stuff I smoked as a gag and he assumed that I wouldn’t actually try it and that a nice shipment of Shîh 'el-beled was to found in the vomit coloured box underneath the packing paper below the nasty concoctions of cosmic cruelty I so recklessly exposed myself to . I thanked Javier for the fine gift and neglected to tell him of my horrific experiences caused by his twisted sense of humor. Although I feel much relieved to not have been devoured by horrors rushing out of time and space I can’t help but to see Azathoth dancing a malignant saraband when ever I think of the moassels bread by madness and hate thrust upon an unsuspecting humanity.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

As some of you know I’ve been spending quite a bit of time in the charming city of Al-Qamishli rustling up some new clients with moderate success prior to having my burned and punctured body collapse in disrepair while on related business in Damascus. During my time in Al-Qamishli I heard about a locally made moassel that apparently rivals Shooting star from my friend Na'eema. Unfortunately our efforts finding it proved futile until recently although I did manage to local a little Shooting Star with a great deal of work.

While recovering I got to spend a bit of time with my chief surgeon, who prefers to be called by his given name Diamumat, who is a very extroverted fellow and an ardent fan all things narghile related. One of the cooler things is that when my recovery was fairly advanced he invited into his office for coffee and moassel while still enrolled as a patient. He had a brand called “Daily Relief” which as I understand it is from Al Hasakah (although I don’t know if that means the is the city or the governate) which tastes like a mix of Uhul’s Plug Burley pipe tobacco, molasses and toasted nuts of some sort.

As it turns out my surgeon plans on retiring to Al-Qamishli and has built a home about 15 minutes outside the city which he invited me to visit during my recovery. On the way out of Damascus we stopped by Diamumat’s son (named Easau ) to drop off some books and got distracted fixing plumbing in his kitchen. While messing about with the plumbing I found out that Eassau is an avid guitarist that likes Gentle Giant, King Crimson, early Pink Floyd and Gong who had suffered a decline in his gigging fortunes when his old Vox AC30 craped out and he was at a loss how to fix it. I offered to fix for him when I found out that he needed a new output transformer and pal that owed me a favour shipped me lovely pair of suitable Spendors shielded in mu metal, a sodering iron and random bits need to do the job which I installed for him a few days later. Luckily, the surgery on the amp worked out and I am told that Easau is busy rocking out in Damascus with the lovely, warm tones of old Brit valve electronics bringing bliss to musically wayward Arabs.

The long drive to Al-Qamishli was a delight as my old friend Na'eema along for the ride and helping to tend to my warranty free body. Beyond the delight of informed company and lively conversation I also got to listen to The Ground Hogs, a whole bunch of Bevis Frond and Elmore James tunes. I tell you, listening to tunes like “Liquid Wheel”, “ Reflections in a Tall Mirror”, “The Shrine” and “Medieval Sienese Acid Blues” while seeing wonderful terrain and picturesque villages go by is amazing. Listening to “The Shrine” can be a moving experience under normal conditions but it was utterly dreamlike that day.

Diamumat’s home is a wonderful example of the bee hive style home in a region from where they are typical and benefitting from all the modern conveniences I’ve grown so accustom to with the added pleasure of lovely antique, handmade rugs from Al Qamishli district, Alawi, and Circassians textile traditions. Several bee hives comprise the home with some meant for sleeping, others cooking, smoking, storage or eating. All the beehives are connected by little stone paths covered with trellises fitted with lovely scented hanging gardens and vines which makes going from one building to another a delight.

After many days recuperating my thoughts quickly turned to tracking down the elusive
The Pride of Al-Qamishli moassel and I ask my generous host about it. As it turns out Diamumat works with and knows the fellows that make it.

The brand is run by Shmeil Kanna and his brother Bashir and was started by their great grandparents back in the late 1880s and are assisted by a few other local families in and near the
Ra's al-'Ayn and Al Qamishli districts ( or mantiqahs as they are called which correspond roughly to counties in the U.S. ) and most of those involved with brand are Assyrians as are the owners.

Like a lot of local brands it’s entirely crafted by hand and in small batches which are aged in crates made of cedar with mostly locally grown leaf and locally made molasses. The leaf is a mix of air and flute cured methods which are aged for about four months in cedar before being de-stemmed and chopped with a large, curved two handed knife that reminds me of the blades used in restaurants to cut pizzas. The tobacco is mixed with plenty of essential oils that no one wanted to tell me about and aged for an additional three months before being mixed with an amber molasses and baked in clay ovens. After being baked the moassel has more molasses and herbal oils added before being set to age an additional month in clay crates built into the cellar floors of the families that make the moassel. Finally, a bit of thin treacle is added before being packed into small, recycled plastic buckets or wrapped in wax paper to be sold to local customers.

It’s my understanding that they make about six different blends which they vary on a seasonal basis and that some blends aren’t made every year do to material shortages. What I managed to get a hold of is the Spring Seasonal blend called “The Harmony of the Soil”. I have no idea what other blends they make are called.

What surprises me is not just that old fashioned spiced moassels like The Pride of Al-Qamishli are still around in this era of mass marketed crap and homogenized tastes but that such long standing local brands can be obscure and hard to find in the vary regions they are made. Most surprising of all is that such a labour, time, and skill intensive labour of love is perused by families generation after generation when far easier and more lucrative trades exist.

One cool aspect of finding out about The Pride of Al-Qamishli is that I got to assist in making it which came as quite a surprise that I wanted to do so to the weary workers preparing the leaf. I
got a couple of jokes about how blond people don’t know anything about tobacco other then what they find in cigarettes and that my hospital stay must have played havoc with my taste buds since White people don’t smoke narghiles. I got to attempt to strip out the stems ( and failed miserably ) as well as work the big curved knife to cut the leaf and did a bit better at that. I also got to load and unload the clay ovens which was pretty neat smell the earthy, rich aromas fill the air and stimulate me to flights of fancy about the bucolic ways of rural Syria that I know only exist as fantasy.

In any case, those of you that have read this little monolog will be encouraged to hear that I obtained a very generous ration of The Pride of Al-Qamishli’s Harmony of the Soil Spring seasonal blend and that samples of roughly 100g will be made available to several HPers. The moassel has already been shipped off to the states and should be in the land of popsicles and striped toothpaste within a day or two. I have an old mate of mine that will distribute it to some long term HPers that like traditional moassels. Those that are interested in getting a sample should keep in mind that the cost will be the postage rates within the states and the customs fees that my stateside mate has to coughed up. My guess is that cost will be roughly 8USD or so plus domestic postage. Those interested in getting a sample should state so in this thread rather then send me a PM. I’ll contact you in a couple of days with detailed instructions via PM within sometime during the up coming week. Those that have gotten exotic moassel from me before know what to expect in terms of procedure.

Oh, since I know we have plenty of HPers in Europa and elsewhere I’ll see to it that a portion is set aside for those individuals as well.

Lastly, one should keep in mind that if you think that Fantasia/SB/SS/HH/AF is what moassel is all about and want big clouds and fruity flavours The Pride of Al-Qamishli’s Harmony of the Soil Spring seasonal blend is not for you. If you think that tobacco flavour means cigarettes or that Tangiers is too intense then I’d suggest you stick to candied stuff. What I’m offering is rich, heavy, complicated traditional Syrian styled spiced moassel so keep that in mind. I think I’ll be able to provide something like 15 or so samples and naturally a good deal of it’s been spoken for already since I know most of the traditional type smokers here.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Scoring Some Pride of Al-Qamishli

A few people have asked about how they pack and sell this stuff so rather then write a bunch of answers i'll tell everyone what I know. Basically it's sold to at a few rural cafes in little villages outside of Al-Qamishli and when they serve it at cafes they simply fill the bowl unless you order some to go. If you order some to gou they wrap it up in wax paper and tie a string on it which is pretty typical for little family owned brands.

The moassel gets sent to to the cafes in recycled plastic buckets like they sell stucco or plaster in.

As I understand it the Pride of Al-Qamishli folks have local customers that have the moassel delivered by kids door to door although a few people come by Kanna brother's homes to pick it up. As far as I can tell it is rarely sold outsode of the Ra's al-'Ayn and Al Qamishli districts and it's never been exported.
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I just found that a Danish documentary was made back in the '80s about the Kanna family and The Pride of Al-Qamishli with lots of footage of the production process and interviews. I have no idea how to get a copy but then the news about 10 minutes old to me. I'll see what I can find out and with a lot of luck I may score a copy of the video.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah1 View Post
what war ?
The Rhodesian War and the Bush War in South West Africa during the '80s. The POW stuff was really nasty but I don't want to talk about that. Other wise, I am pretty open about what happened and what I did.
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default The Hajo Files

I have to spend some in Syria shortly for an economic conference, fixing the roof and plumbing of my little flat on Arwad Island and doing some customer support stuff on the coast. The good news is that my old friend Na'eema has apparently made the grandest score of moassel ever as it seems she i'll be able to land some of the rarest Shooting Star blend ever made. I am talking about the mythic Gondos and Simon Blend which is now available for the first time since 1916. You can read about the original and new blend here: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...=shooting+star

Anyway, Na'eema tells me she thinks she will be able to get a hold of some and naturally i'll have a review up when i get it along with a bit of info about how the blend is made and a little history behind it. Other then that it seems that it's coming wooden boxes like some of the seasonal Al-Barudi. My understanding is that this is so rare it makes seasonal blends like Al-Barudi, July 14th and the Al Attassi blends seem common. Naturally if I can land a decent quantity of it i'll pass along half to my fellow HPers at what ever my costs end up being.
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Re: Shooting Star Gondos and Simon Blend: Na'eema Scores!

I finally got my hands on a box of the G & S Blend and it smells so amazing I can't even figure out out how to describe it yet but perhaps after a lot of thinking i'll find the words.

Anyway, I badgered the hotel manager into letting me use his camera so pictures are included below. The cover art is of a famous First World War propaganda poster which has often been reproduced. The other pictures are some writing in what I think is Turkish, the Shooting Star logo which is obscured by the artwork seen in the last picture and the inside of the box with a label showing this box number 3027 of 4000 made of this one off re-issue. I am so excited I to try it out that I can't stand it.

I'll be be looking into seeing if I can obtain more this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-012F.JPG   MVC-013F.JPG   MVC-014F.JPG   MVC-015F.JPG  
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
The writing on the 2nd and 4th picture says "The Fight for the Suez Canal" in German.
That is a bit odd I admit but recall that both Gondos and Simon were German speakers and the poster was a propaganda piece made by the old duel monarchy. The little portrait in the corner is of Envar Pasa and although I can't see why he's in it it stands to reason that since both Gondos and Simon were secret agents they can't be publicly championed. The poster is more then a bit fanciful since it shows artillery (which the raiding party didn't have) and what seems to be a mix of Sanusi, Asir and Najd tribesmen which obviously were not involved in the raid.

Anyway, the Austro-Hungarians had the best propaganda poster ever made since's pretty funny and i've attached it below.

For some reason the poster didn't show up so here is the link: http://www.adreprographics.com/gcard.../MH00004-2.jpg

What it says: "Tavaszi Reszvenysor. Elso Magyar. Reszveny Serfozode. Budapest Kobanya. A favorite, this reproduction of a Hungarian beer company poster created in 1914 (World War One) translates roughly, The beer from the spring hops has arrived: the enemy is surrendering. The Allied soldiers - among them a French poilu, a Scotsman, and a Russian - would rather drink beer than fight, and are surrendering to beer drinking Hungarian troopers and their German allies who stand near the big guns of WW1 surrounded by beer kegs." I love the Sikhs and the various other colonials in that picture. The whole thing is just very silly.
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor3231 View Post
haha insteading of mustarding each other lets intoxicate each other with some brew (: i find that poster fairly amusing since originally chemical warfare was fairly new and the allies had no previous experience with it, so the axis expected the allies to surrender. and the mention of the spring hops. since spring mainly means 'renewal' or revival of life or of something new, i linked it to the new method of war of that time. im guessing the poster tries to link tht type of war and expected outcome to a wonderful looking fest of beer that is fresh ready for deployment. idk i wish to expain more since i love history as well as the different meanings a simple propaganda poster may display. especially the ones from the old wars. wish i knew how to read german so i can understand it completely.. :/ aside from that...i just shared my thoughts cuz i was bored..haha(:
It's a great add that was made a Hungarian brewery and it's far funnier then most propaganda posters. I suppose that the intention was to stimulate ale sales. Oh, by the way, in the First World War the Germans, The Austro-Hungarian Empire, The Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria comprised what was then called the Central powers and they fought the Entente powers which consisted of : the UK, France, Canada, Belgium, Serbia, Italy, Greece, Japan, Romania, Portugal, Russia, Montenegro, United States, China, Siam, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, New Zealand and a few others. The term Axis refers only states allied with Germany in the Second World War.

My family fought on the losing side of both world wars and so I have a bit of an interest in that sort of thing and honor their efforts. In any case, that moassel was ever made let alone re-issued is super cool.
Closed Thread Share
Share with your friends on facebook