Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Newbie Sticky To Get Update

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Newbie Sticky To Get Update

So I've decided that the ginormous sticky needs an update and possibly a new form:

I figure updating won't take too long if I could incorporate some user feedback on this.

So here's whats up:

1) What should be changed?
2) What should be added?
3) What should be removed?
4) Should the form it is presented in be changed? (ie, image/pdf so that other sites blatantly copying this have more work to do- trust me it happens)

If you have a suggestion for an addition or a rewriting, and want to be the contributor, please go ahead and write it up with your reply!

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Default Re: Newbie Sticky To Get Update

Update the acronyms, some of them are different now IE SS-Social Smoke SSC - Sahara Smoke. That's all I can think of for now.

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Setup, KM Green Pear 36", Small Tangier's Phunnel, KM Rainbow and Nammor Hoses
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Babyhulk
Hookah Nut

I'd like to see rep points added
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyhulk View Post
I'd like to see rep points added
That's a different section this is about the sticky "what should I buy" thread.

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Babyhulk
Hookah Nut

0ok
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

5char.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Grala
Hookah Newbie

Some how to links?

Set up
Cleaning
Heat management
Good newbie tips and tricks
Hookah etiquette
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM
alvin
Hookah Newbie

how about links to the video tutorials
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:26 PM
RxMatt
Hookah Aficionado

1. A guide that explains the different tobacco types. Traditional, modern, washed, unwashed etc.
2. Guide to preventing or dealing with hookah sickness.

All I got
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Thunderwolf1019
Hookah Guru

Regal hookah I think should be added.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

alright most of that will be done then.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
againuntodust
Hookah Pro

Glass bowls, windcovers how and why to use them. Grommets. How to acclimate. How to clean the purge port. How to store shisha. How to get cold smoke. Natural coals and quick lights. How to initially heat the bowl. Visual guide to different hole patterns. How to and how often to clean the hookah, as well as polish it. Diffusers. Scientific info about washable and unwashable hoses, the magnet test. Fix the typo of "Kalil Mamoon" to "Khalil Mamoon". .5 and .05 % nicotine aka washed and unwashed tobacco.

That's all I can think of.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thunderwolf1019
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post
Glass bowls, windcovers how and why to use them. Grommets. How to acclimate. How to clean the purge port. How to store shisha. How to get cold smoke. Natural coals and quick lights. How to initially heat the bowl. Visual guide to different hole patterns. How to and how often to clean the hookah, as well as polish it. Diffusers. Scientific info about washable and unwashable hoses, the magnet test. Fix the typo of "Kalil Mamoon" to "Khalil Mamoon". .5 and .05 % nicotine aka washed and unwashed tobacco.

There is more the one spelling for khalil mamoon floating around.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
RxMatt
Hookah Aficionado

How to get a bowl to produce flavor when there is none. A loooooot of those threads have been popping up the last few days.
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

When I was a noob, a little more science about how the hookah works would have been helpful. For example, a comparison/contrast of hookah and your typical Dr. Grabow pipe might be useful.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:32 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...t=Newbie+guide some guides that can be incorporated in this new guide PL
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

thanks for that post glos i got a lot of free time this weekend (i think) so I'll try to get things done.

seriously, my first break since moving into the house, looking forward to getting things done again!

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM
rolloxan
Hookah Nut

One more thing - underpacking and overpacking - the dos and donts.

Haha you have your work cut out for you my friend. Verrrrrry excited to see how it turns out!
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:57 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ht=Overpacking

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...ht=Overpacking

Some overpacking guides
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
SpiritWolf
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
how about links to the video tutorials
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMatt View Post
1. A guide that explains the different tobacco types. Traditional, modern, washed, unwashed etc.
2. Guide to preventing or dealing with hookah sickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMatt View Post
How to get a bowl to produce flavor when there is none. A loooooot of those threads have been popping up the last few days.

these to start I have to much so I'll just say what these people said...lol
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:46 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28333 One more guide to incorporate
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
wabibi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post

Great suggestions. More importantly, how would these useful info be clearly listed out. A lot of the info is out there but scattered.
clear accesssibility is key...
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
kobysmoke
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the info really helps!
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:00 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

So i found a cool way to possibly implement the vast amount of info. Consider this a sample chapter

There are several ways to clean and polish your hookah, and I’ll try to list the most chosen methods on here. Methods of cleaning tend to be applicable for all hookah types, but polishing differs based on material. I’ll make things easy and give an outline of how I’ve arranged this. Remember, work from the inside out when cleaning and polishing. If you want to restore the hookah, just do everything below to the extreme.

Understanding rust vs tarnish
Cleaning
Inner tube of stem
Exterior of stem
Bases

Glass/Crystal
Acrylic

Bowls
Clay/Ceramic
Glass

Hoses
Washable
Non-Washable

Polishing
Notes on Polishing
Steel
Brass

Touchups
Refinishing
Removing deep scratches

Wood

Understanding rust vs tarnish
This is pretty simple, they are very similar processes but usually relate to different metals going through oxidation. That orange stuff, that’s rust. That sometimes gooey green stuff is tarnish. You’ll see tarnish on brass all the time, but its not a big deal.
Cleaning
Inner tube of stem
Remember that stem brush you got with your hookah? Use it. Remember, that part deteriorates over time and you’ll need to replace it after the bristles wear down. First you’ll want to rinse the inner portion of the stem with water. Next you’ll want to run the brush through a few times. If you cant get the whole length of the stem, work it from the other end. Rinse with water when you are done. Now look through, is there still dirt? If so, repeat this a few times.
If this isn’t helping, there are two choices people use. Choice one is lemon juice, or anything else that’s acidic (vinegar works too but you’ll need to work harder to remove its flavor afterwards). Choice two is beer. Beer will foam up as you are scrubbing and lift the dirt as you scrub. With both choices, rinse with plenty of water when you are done.
If you are having mild rust issues, consider bar keeper’s friend. It comes in powder form that you make a paste with or in liquid form. I usually get the latter. You will want to pour it down the stem and scrub for a tad. Then let it sit for a minute, and scrub a little bit more. Rinse thoroughly when you are done. Its basically oxalic acid (COOH)2 so wear gloves or your hands will get relatively dried out. This stuff eats away rust and dirt and polishes.
Make sure you allow your stem to dry. If you have a brass stem and have tarnish (green goo) coming out when you wash it, add a hit of lemon or lime juice before you let it dry. This prevents the oxidation process a little.
Exterior of stem
Usually, a soft cloth towel, slightly moist. Make sure to wipe it dry too. That’s it. The tray can be run under water and then dried. If it needs something more, you’re looking to polish.
Bases
Never use dish soap.
Glass/Crystal
For every day cleaning use baking soda and water. Add the water, then some baking soda, and then shake it up. Dump it out and rinse. Smell the base, if it doesn’t smell clean, repeat the process. Seriously this is all you normally need to do.
Once in a while, throw a base brush in the mix. Most bases are cylindrical, so bend the brush near the end so it hugs the wall of your base when you insert it. Scrub well.
After a long while, you’ll get a line of film, you can use the brush and some barkeeper’s friend. Yeah, its perfect for glass. You can make glass spotless with it. It won’t kill the crystal.
Acrylic
Do everything above, but use oxyclean instead of bar keepers friend if you need it.
Bowls
Clay/Ceramic
For simple cleans, just get a steel scrubbing pad/sponge, and scrub under hot water. Some people boil the bowl, and it works, but this is faster for daily cleaning.
For thorough cleaning, either place the bowl in boiling water until its clean or follow the advice of the glass section below.
Glass
Scrub with a steel scrubbing pad. Place in a cup of oxyclean solution overnight. Once that’s done, rinse thoroughly. You can also try bleach, but rinse extra for that!
Hoses
Washable
When you first get a hose it has a plastic taste. That’s alright. When you get a new refrigerator with new hoses you get the same taste in your water. But there’s a trick for that which works on hoses. Run about 8 gallons of water through it…yeah it takes a while. If you don’t want to do that, then just rinse it a few times and smoke it a few times until it goes away. Lemon juice and vinegar and all that will just taste like lemon plastic and vinegar plastic.
For daily cleans, just rinse with water.
For serious cleans, add lemon juice with the water and shake it around to distribute it (cap the ends so you don’t make a mess!). Rinse. Hang to dry.
Non-Washable
Clap the hose handle and hose end together a few times and exhale through the hose after using and before using. Hang when not using.
If you have an air compressor, you can shoot air through it and stuff will fly out, don’t over do it or you’ll ruin the coil of the hose. Make sure your compressor removes condensation as well. Don’t use canned air, it will taste horrible from the propellant.
Polishing
Notes on polishing
For light stuff I’ll suggest simple polishes. For the heavy stuff, you’ll need a powertool like a drill that gets to at least 2000 rpm, some buff pads, and some polishing compounds.
Steel
Buy some neverdull at any autoparts store or possibly your local grocery store.
If that’s not enough or you have scratches….you’ll need to get a denim spiral wheel (for real deep scratches) or a sisal wheel (for moderate scratches) with emery compound. This will smooth out the scratches. Next use a cushion sewn wheel with white rouge to finish and shine! (You may need a towel to wipe it down to reveal the shine)
Brass
Touchups
This section has a few options, and I’ll generalize them
Acid. Soak in something slightly acidic. Lemon juice or ketchup. Clean it up and wipe it down.
Acid and salt. Use lemon juice (or vinegar) and coarse salt (kosher salt/sea salt) and scrub! Rinse and wipe dry.
Never dull: buy, apply, wipe dry.
Brasso: Buy, apply, wipe dry. (you gently wipe the brass with brasso and let it sit for a few minutes before working it in for stronger effect)
Refinishing
This gives you a mirrored finish!
Use a cushion sewn buff wheel with white rouge to shine it. You may need to wipe with a towel to reveal shine.
Removing deep scratches
Get a sisal wheel with emery compound to remove scratches. A denim wheel with emery compound might be overkill.
Wood
There are a ton of options and things to buy here, but really all you need to do is wipe it down it a light coating of natural oil and work it in with a cotton towel. Some recommend using a hint of vinegar instead of the oil and rubbing it in to reveal the natural shine of wood, but I say for the hookah “eh”. Don’t use detergent cleaners.

Last edited by photolinger; March 16th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

Photolinger any news on this revamping
Share with your friends on facebook