Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 25th, 2011, 06:13 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

you hit nail on head pretty much peter. noir/f-line a little more picky on packing it correctly
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM
PeterMon
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpam View Post
you hit nail on head pretty much peter. noir/f-line a little more picky on packing it correctly
haha thanks but you beat me to it lol
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
bigslim3k
Hookah Newbie

cool, thx for the help. i thought i read somewhere that lucid didn't suffer from humidity shock. Yes No ?
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim3k View Post
cool, thx for the help. i thought i read somewhere that lucid didn't suffer from humidity shock. Yes No ?
It does, but not nearly as badly as Noir or F-Line.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:15 PM
tangierssmoker
Banned

[FONT=Arial]now onto the end all be all Tangiers noir packing description step by step follow along its gonna be a doozy![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #1 Get supplies together!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Order a large supply of tang because after reading this post you are going to pack like a pro and will probably never want to smoke anything else again for a while! be sure to pick up a Tangiers Phunnel and an oyster fork (trust me you will need it) while your at it!!! grab your Reynolds Wrap heavy duty foil. and a couple of disposable type tupperware containers you know the type that never fully seal airtight (glad wear or the likes), have your favorite hookah handy, a case of your favorite beer, (to cheers yourself on a job well done) and a box of yor favorite coals cuz your in for a 5 + hour smoking session if everything goes right.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step # 2 Proper Acclimation-[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Tangiers (tang) noir tobacco is made from unwashed tobacco and therefore the water is evaporated out of it fully in the manufacturing process unlike most other brands that attempt to seal in the water to keep their tobaccos moist and the water vapor is released when smoking giving you seemingly huge clouds with not much in the way of head change. Tang is made in the climate of beautiful San Diego,CA and is sealed up along with air from this climate. The humidity in the air in San Diego is most likely different from the amount of humidity in your climate where you are about to enjoy a great bowl of tang! with the humidity that is sealed in the bag being different than that of your locality, your tobacco is going to suffer from humidity shock when you first open up your package.what is humidity shock? think of the tobacco being like a sponge... the sponge is not completely dry because it has absorbed small amounts of moisture from the moist San Diego ocean climate. Now seal it in plastic and take it to a super dry climate such as Arizona or New Mexico open the bag and the sponge will start to dry out. This wont happen all of a sudden but will happen over the next few hours or days depending on the difference in the humidity levels between places. During this time the moisture in this sponge is not in a constant state until it has fully acclimated. Back to tobacco.... With your tobacco trying to either lose moisture or gain moisture it also is not a constant which anyone that knows anything about science knows a constant is required for any scientific testing. When your package arrives open your bag stir the contents while they’re in the bag to make sure that any flavoring that has seperrated from the tobacco during shipping process doesn’t get thrown away in the bag (this is the part that most people skip and end up with tobacco that simply never seems to lose the bbq smell). dump the contents into a wide shallow disposable type tupperware. stir it up well and leave it spread out in the bottom of the container with the lid off of it for a few hours 4-6 depending on how different your climate is from that of san diego where tang is packaged. During this time of acclimation go back and periodically stir up your tobacco to aide the tobacco to all fully acclimate. once this process is complete place the lid back on your container and keep it in the general area you will be smoking most often.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #3 get out your tang phunnel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]knock off chinese phunnels are inexpensive and i know a lot of people like them for this reason. as i explained to a hookah lounge owner that i recently spoke with who asked me the question why would i want to buy those when i can get these for less than $5 (pointing to a chinese knock off) i said to him here you are about to buy and serve the sports car of tobacco's we'll call your base the paint job, we'll figure your pipe is like the drive train of this sports car your hose is like the tires that differ greatly in handling from one to the next. and we will consider the head to be like the engine that powers it. its where your tobacco is directly placed and burned either properly or impropperly. those chinese knock offs are not made to the same specifications and under the same quality control. i pointed out the hollow area in between the basin where the tobacco is packed and the outside bottom of the bowl section. this causes for an air pocket that is always cooling the bottom of the basin not allowing you to fully heat the bottom of the bowl properly. as you pull air down through the phunnel it swirls around in that area and continues cooling the bottom of your tobacco not allowing for a clean even burn. since this area is also unglazed it creates for a cleaning issue and leaves space for tobacco flavors to ghost horribly in the head. with a tangiers phunnel the bowl is completely solid clay which anyone who has ever broken one can attest to. this is so the bowl will retain heat in the clay underneath the tobacco and this is why the bowl will be so hot when it is removed directly after smoking. and this will be covered more in the heat management section in a little bit so keep it in mind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #4 stir, stir,stir[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]stir up your tobacco fully every single time you go to pack a bowl. this will keep you from having one bowl taste amazing and the next bowl maybe not so good or vise versa. remember we are going for all constants in this procedure so there is no sense to under do the stirring .[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #5 PACKING the tang-[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]now that your favorite flavor is all stirred up in your wide shallow dish it is time to push it all to one side of the container and pack it down tight in the bottom of the container like a nice burger patty. once it is packed down tightly turn your phunnel head upside down and place it on this tobacco patty. use your oyster fork to go around the bowl and cut a wedge out of your tobacco. use the oyster fork to hold that wedge of tobacco in your head while you flip it up right. now pack the tobacco down fairly tightly into the phunnel using your oyster fork to pull it away from the center and keep it away from the hole. concentrate on packing the tobacco tight up against the outside edge of your bowl to form a tight seal between the tobacco and the outside edge of the phunnel bowl. this will greatly aide in you being able to manage your heat properly as i had spoken about earlier the bowl is made to retain the heat in the clay but if there is air flowing between the tobacco and the outer edge of your bowl it will have no way for the heat to transfer from the coals which are on top and down to the bottom of the bowl for the complete burn you want to achieve. the heat has to transfer through the tobacco and into the clay airflow in this area will drastically reduce the amount of heat that can be transferred to the clay and makes for a sub par smoke session. now after you think you have enough tobacco in your bowl place your reynolds wrap heavy duty foil (shiny side down) on top of the bowl use the palm of your hand to press down on the foil and the tobacco firmly packing it down tight into the bowl. you will most likely see an impression in the foil where the spire of the phunnel is located. if you can feel the spire without pressing firmly on the tobacco you need to add a good amount of tobacco to your bowl. when the bowl is packed correctly you should be able to press down firmly and only see a slight impression of the spire. at this point you should be able to place a quarter flat on top of the foil in the center of the bowl and the top edge of the quarter should match up with the top ring of the bowls edge. this is all the air space required for a large phunnel bowl if you are using a small or medium it should be closer to only the thickness of a dime or somewhere between the two. if you have gotten this done correctly you are about halfway there.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #6 pulling the foil tight[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]this is another step that a lot of people over look that is one more constant we want to work on. the foil should be pulled tight to the point you see the wrinkles and indentations come back out of it and it flattens itself back out this keeps the foil from drooping and touching the tobacco before it fluffs it’s self back up causing a quick burn out.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #7 poking the holes[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]hold the bowl in your hand firmly pulling down on the aluminum foil while you use your oyster fork (if your oyster fork is not sharpened to a point at the tip use a file or bench grander and file the tips sharp) to poke the holes in straight lines starting from one side of the bowl and working towards the other side. you want the fork to go in all the way to the bottom of the bowl what this does is allow space for the juices and flavorings to steam up from the bottom of the bowl kinda like how geysers work. without the holes going all the way down to the bottom the juices that build up at the bottom as the tobacco sits in the bowl get trapped under the crispy layer that develops at the top and therefore will never be able to be vaporized and enjoyed as they should be. i know everyone differs on this but yes the holes should be poked across the phunnel area as well when poking through this section i understand the fork will not be able to be inserted very deeply for this reason these holes will not be as large of diameter so yo have to slightly wiggle the fork to make those holes uniform in size with the rest. at some points during packing it is required to poke one tine of the oyster fork back down through an existing hole to get the next holes to fit in the line this is normal. once your holes are completed you are one step closer to the perfect bowl!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #8 pop this glorious bowl on your favorite hookah and get ready for heat management training!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]by this time you either are tired of reading and wish i would have condensed this a bit more or you are happy because through my in depth description you have learned some little thing that you hadn’t thought about yet. by the way i am seriously tired of typing so just keep in mind i am doing all of this for YOU not for any benefit of my own. so now your hookah is ready to roll your bowl is packed to perfection and you are lighting up your coals on the stove or hot plate or whatever you use. (for this next part i will be using fumari ql’s) for the first round of smoking use three coals for a small or medium phunnel or 4 for the large. you want the heat to radiate through the bowl quickly and to heat up the clay as efficiently as possible. after your coals are red on one side flip them over and continue cooking them until you are sure they are completely cooked all the way through. (for small phunnel) place them on your bowl with the corners of the coal roughly pointing to spots on the outer ring of the bowl allowing about half of each coal to hang off of the bowls edge causing it to look like it is going to jump off and onto the tray if all 3 are positioned correctly you will have an amazing flavor but kind of light smoke when starting the bowl up. this also allows the coal to rest on the edge of the clay head causing it to gain heat rapidly to cook the underside of the tobacco wedge. now as you smoke a bit if the smoke still isn’t harsh and you aren’t satisfied with the amount of smoke you are getting slide one coal in at a time a little closer to the center puff it a few times slide another in if still not satisfied repeat this process until you are happy with the smoke you are getting. at this point the bowl has been heating up and is starting to release all of the flavors from below. continue to move your coals in and out from the center until you are completely happy with the smoke you are getting. if your bowl starts to burn too hot or if you are going to walk away from your hookah drop one coal to the tray to keep from allowing the tobacco to burn remember as you are smoking it the cold air is buffering the heat to keep it from burning but if let to sit the same amount of heat with no airflow can quickly char your bowl. wow i just realized i have been typing for an hour. back to the coals after your first round is growing smaller put another 2 up on top to start to light when they are fully cooked take off all he coals put them in the tray, use your oyster fork or a toothpick to poke back down through the top layer of crispy tobacco and down to the bottom of the bowl. place your 2 new coals up on your bowl with the little coal pieces left from the first three. by this point there is enough heat stored in the clay head to not warrant the use of a third but you should start one liteing. remember it is better to get light smoke until you find the heat level you want than to risk charring the bowl at this point. as the third coal lites knock off the smaller pieces and start another two pieces. from this point on just manage your heat in this same manner and you will be smoking for at least 4-6 hrs before you lose the wonderful flavor of this bowl.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]step #9 celebrate[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]crack a beer give yourself a pat on the back and relax knowing you have just packed the infamous perfect tang noir bowl!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Step #10 clean up[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]clean your hookah now. i know you want to take off to bed and wait till morning but this is where ghosting flavors come from. run your head under water until it is cooled down and the tobacco inside of it can be thrown into a trash can without setting anything on fire. run a shank cleaner down through the phunnel and rinse out all the tobacco to keep from getting those evil kling-ons as they are just annoying and cause ripping of foil at a later time. run a shank cleaner through your shank rinse and dump your jar and get it ready to be set back up for tomorrows kick a$$ session!!!!!!!!!!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]If this post leaves anyone with any questions please feel free to ask them and i will answer them and update this post.[/FONT]
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM
wakisaki
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie81 View Post
Tangiers lucid isnt hard to get right. I can be regular packed in an egyptian bowl and have good results. This thread is mostly for the noir and f-line tangiers. They are the ones that give tangiers the "hard to use" reputation.
ya i figured it was... but im still proud of myself
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:58 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Tangierssmoker, Tangiers really isnt to bad in AZ in regards to acclimation. All of the noir that Ive ordered and opened here in AZ has needed very little to no acclimation. Not sure why because the climate is very different than in SD but for whatever reason, little acclimation is needed here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Let's all chill and look at the pretty hookahs. Oooh. Shiny. I want one.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:37 AM
LambWorks
Hookah Nut

I just ordered 4 flavors and I live in California's windy high desert. Can't wait to see what the acclimation is like. Even the lizards wear lotion around here.

BTW...I ordered Cane Mint, Juicy Peach, Orange Soda and Horchata. Excited!
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
jice06
Hookah Nut

good thread waffle, i think i just learned a crap ton
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:05 PM
delSol_si
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheesh-ugh View Post
Great work!! I smoke Tang exclusively, but the humidity shock part was something I hadn't learned before. Rule of thumb: if it smells good, smoke it. If it doesn't, don't. If that's your only flavor, buy more!!
Not necessarily. For me, several flavors smell a ton better than they taste. For example, I had M. Cherry awhile back...it smelled amazing...but smoked and taste terrible. I acclimated it and everything. Tried using a Tangiers Mini phunnel, Tangiers small phunnel, Tangiers mini super chief, and MNH mini glass funnel. None of them helped. I was going to try the small superchief, but didn't feel like wasting the time. I have heard mixed reviews on this flavor, several people say it taste GREAT, others are just like me and could never get it to work.

So, smell isn't everything. It does help, but its not an end all solution.

Also, I personally have noticed that for me, Tangiers smokes great in the summer or warmer weathers, but forget it in the winter and cool weathers. Last summer, I got nothing but amazing bowls, then in fall, they were good, but not great, then in the winter, i could NEVER get a single bowl to smoke that great, now its spring and its finicky (kinda like the weather). I am assuming once I get past spring and get into summer that it will start to smoke better.

One thing I absolutely love about Tangiers is the lack of dye. I used to smoke Layalina exclusively, but then realized that the dye was giving me really bad headaches. However, I have yet to find a Tangiers flavor that can is as good as Layalina Raspberry, Blueberry, or Black Grape. I know Eric produced Blueberry a long time ago, but he said his supplier pooped out, so no more Blueberry. He does have raspberry, but I never could get it to smoke well. He does have BGB, but it still isn't as good as Layalina Blueberry. I really really wish Eric could get ahold of whoever makes Layalina's blueberry and raspberry flavorings. However, it could be Layalina's flavoring that gives me headaches, who knows.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Vivacity
Hookah Nut

Just curious...What about the Social Smoke Japanese Style coals? My gf's roommate bought an entire box of them yesterday and we might dedicated them just to Tangiers when I get some next week.
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM
texashookah91
Hookah Nut

so glad everyone is finally getting on the tangiers train. Once you smoke tangiers everything else is just shisha.
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie81 View Post
Tangierssmoker, Tangiers really isnt to bad in AZ in regards to acclimation. All of the noir that Ive ordered and opened here in AZ has needed very little to no acclimation. Not sure why because the climate is very different than in SD but for whatever reason, little acclimation is needed here.
I live in AZ also, so your able to just smoke straight out of the bag with no issues?
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:40 PM
wakisaki
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashookah91 View Post
so glad everyone is finally getting on the tangiers train. Once you smoke tangiers everything else is just shisha.
well said
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sheesh-ugh
Hookah Newbie

delSol, I do agree with you a little bit.. I know it's a YMMV thing. Question though, are you smoking indoors in the various seasons? humiditiy still changes, obviously, but that could be a factor. I've had a significant amount of luck in Baltimore with Tangiers. Mostly over the fall and winter, but have yet to try an outdoor bowl in the summer. This particularly concerns me, bc it gets sloppy humid in July and August here!

For what it's worth, though, this is a great thread. Since getting Tang down, I only buy the Noir Line, and friends and smoking buddies alike have fallen in love with it. It's so satisfying to see the look on someone's face when you say you are going to smoke Lime or Orange Soda, and then they taste it and their eyes light up
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:18 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Well i have to admit, that after following Waffles vid and packing the same way without messing with it and worrying about to much or not dense enough and just doing it like the vid, I am smoking a bowl of Tangiers Kashmir Peach and its amazing. I have had it smoke good before or so I thought but the flavor is much more pronounced and the smoke impressive.
Im thinking that the first timers to Tangiers that follow the directions exactly but still get that "tickle" and think its harsh may actually be reacting to the strength of the strong tobacco note. It reminds me of the first time I got into cigars and would notice a ticklish discomfort in the back of my throat that would make me cough sometimes. After about a dozen hits the tickle went away and it was very enjoyable and flavorful.
I have to recommend Kashmir Peach yet again its so damn good.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Vivacity
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
Well i have to admit, that after following Waffles vid and packing the same way without messing with it and worrying about to much or not dense enough and just doing it like the vid, I am smoking a bowl of Tangiers Kashmir Peach and its amazing. I have had it smoke good before or so I thought but the flavor is much more pronounced and the smoke impressive.
Im thinking that the first timers to Tangiers that follow the directions exactly but still get that "tickle" and think its harsh may actually be reacting to the strength of the strong tobacco note. It reminds me of the first time I got into cigars and would notice a ticklish discomfort in the back of my throat that would make me cough sometimes. After about a dozen hits the tickle went away and it was very enjoyable and flavorful.
Waffles vid has been the best tangiers packing video ive seen thus far...no bullshitting around, just getting it done.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPA View Post
Glad to hear you had success BP.

Welcome to "The Goddess" club.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:57 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Has anyone tried Tangiers Double Apple? I can't find any reviews of it.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:00 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Has anyone tried Tangiers Double Apple? I can't find any reviews of it.
Thats because he doesn't have a Double Apple. (Or hasn't for a long time, to my knowledge)[Edit: Just looked and it's not on the current production list for flavors, no mention of it at all actually]

He does have Double Orange though, same concept, just orange instead of apple (and I believe hints of lemon and rose). I've heard its to die for if you're an anise fan.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:30 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
Thats because he doesn't have a Double Apple. (Or hasn't for a long time, to my knowledge)[Edit: Just looked and it's not on the current production list for flavors, no mention of it at all actually]

He does have Double Orange though, same concept, just orange instead of apple (and I believe hints of lemon and rose). I've heard its to die for if you're an anise fan.
Hookahset currently has a double apple listed. I had never seen this or heard of it so I was wondering if I had missed something. I would have been surprised if that one has slipped under my radar.

I've actually heard quite the opposite regarding double orange. I've heard that it is mostly orange with a little rose and a slight hint of anise. I've heard that it's good but not what was promised.

Ah well. I'm considering making a new order and I may just place the order and see what they send me.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:34 PM
TheNewCultKingX
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Hookahset currently has a double apple listed. I had never seen this or heard of it so I was wondering if I had missed something. I would have been surprised if that one has slipped under my radar.

I've actually heard quite the opposite regarding double orange. I've heard that it is mostly orange with a little rose and a slight hint of anise. I've heard that it's good but not what was promised.

Ah well. I'm considering making a new order and I may just place the order and see what they send me.

I don't see double apple
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:35 PM
tangierssmoker
Banned

you will probably recieve the yellow apple. seeing as how tangiers doesn't make a double apple flavor and there is no way they could have one. the double orange is pretty good but the new orange coming out is to die for....
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Vivacity
Hookah Nut

If i recall..glider14 was saying something about a "royal apple" being talked about..which is supposed to be a double apple..not sure though.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewcultkingx View Post
I don't see double apple
It's listed in the Tangiers Overstock reg line clearance options. This is another part of why I inquired.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook