Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What KM Did I Buy? - Help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 17th, 2016, 06:03 PM
MG85
Hookah Newbie

Default What KM Did I Buy? - Help

Hey Guys,

I just bought a KM after years (5) of using a Sahara Smoke hookah which was awesome with an ASLI hose! But it was time to get something new. I've got a picture of a SS hookah thats about the same as the one I had.

I also have pictures of the KM I bought last week from a local Hookah Hookup store. Was wondering if anyone can identify it?

I'm honestly a little disappointed in it. It feels restricted, the smoke is less, and the session ends quicker than my old SS. I tried the ASLI hose (my favorite) but there was much less smoke and less flavor...no clue why. I had a vortex bowl that I used for 1-2 years....this KM came with an egyptian bowl. I was JUST switching from the egyptian bowl (I used this first to try it out; smoking Fumari) to the vortex bowl when I accidentally broke it before I could try it out and see if that was the issue. I have the new vortex ordered and am waiting for it.

Anyway, if anyone can help out identifying this hookah it would be great!

Here is the new KM:

Here is what my old hookah was like:

Last edited by MG85; November 17th, 2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:40 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns
Default Re: What KM Did I Buy? - Help

Looks like a Trimetal oxide. Clean it thoroughly, check your water level, make sure all your fittings are snug and your purge ball is present and not stuck open ( bowl port, hose port, base grommet). If using an egy bowl, blow up through the bottom after filling and foiling to make sure holes in bottom of bowl are not occluded. I typically poke holes up through the bottom through the five or so holes in the bowl before poking the rest of the holes in the foil to ensure good air flow.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Mr_Stubbes
Hookah Master

The KM you have has been referred to as a Quad Tone Americana and a Basha Oxide

Links for name reference:
http://5starhookah.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=130
https://www.southsmoke.com/pd-khalil...zed-hookah.cfm

Honestly the name is irrelevant. They change from vendor to vendor so it really just depends what they want to call them. The real issue is that you are having lack luster sessions with your new hookah. You're issue could be because of your pack and heat management or possibly a leak. If you could post some pictures of your pack, foil, and how many coals you are using, we could let you know if that might be the culprit.

You can also check for a leak if you think the smoke and flavor output is a lot less than with your old SS pipe. To check for a leak you can setup your hookah like you normally would with water in the base but no bowl or hose put your hand over the bowl port and try pulling directly for the hose port. If you're drawing in air that means their is a leak somewhere in the pipe. If you aren't pulling in air then plug in your hose and try again, if you're pulling in air then your hose could have a leak or more likely the seal between the hose end and hose port might not be great.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:50 PM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

if you zoom in on the hose port on the first pic the seal looks loose, try ditching the rubber grommet and seal the hose with a strip of wet paper towel, this gives a much better seal and i don't use rubber grommets at all now on most of my rigs.
Old November 17th, 2016, 06:50 PM
MG85
Hookah Newbie

Ok so that was very helpful.

I finally have a name for it! Thats a start.

I'll also take some pics of my packing for the edgy bowl and post them on here. I've been using a vortex for years. I also have not been poking holes all the way through the foil down into the 5 holes of the bowl, I'll give that a try!

Finally, Im going to test out the plugging of the top/hose port up and checking for leaks. Hopefully this comes down to me not being used to anything else other than my SS and vortex for years now
Old November 17th, 2016, 07:03 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

[QUOTE=Mr_Stubbes;930678]The KM you have has been referred to as a Quad Tone Americana and a Basha ....

^^^^
Doh, i stand corrected...... i still like Fred. Were it my pipe, id call it Fred.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:40 PM
MG85
Hookah Newbie

Hmm, so I just tested for leaks. Empty hookah, no water in bowl no tobacco in bowl. I plugged the top up and sucked in directly from the hose port on the hookah. It seemed good there. Barely anything coming through...is this ok?

Then I put the hose in and tried the same but through the hose. The black grommet holding the hose in is leaking air. Its not a perfect fit nor does it seem to be tight after examination.

Whats a good solution here?

Really appreciate the help here!
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:42 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

I rarely use grommets. Get yourself some cloth atletic tape. Till then, wet oaper towel works like a champ.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:51 PM
MG85
Hookah Newbie

Oh, there we go, never new athletic cloth tape was the way to go! I will be giving that a try. Same thing for the bowl grommet at the top?

I wasn't aware people weren't using grommets!
Old November 17th, 2016, 09:55 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG85 View Post
Oh, there we go, never new athletic cloth tape was the way to go! I will be giving that a try. Same thing for the bowl grommet at the top?

I wasn't aware people weren't using grommets!
^^^^
grommets are fine, but if you need to fine tune the fit, tape or wet papertowel gets it done.

Yeah, works on bowl port and in place of/ or to "build up" the base grommet for a better fit as well.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:00 PM
PeteyPete
Hookah Aficionado

I have an OG Apache that requires paper towl. Most of my hose grommets have been built up with atletic tape. Both of my pipes have athletic tape base grommets. Just experiment until you get a good seal. With some MacGuyvering it will be smoking like a champ.
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:03 PM
MG85
Hookah Newbie

Awesome! I'll try this out tomorrow and report back...I have a feeling this was the issue. Since I've never had this problem, I never thought about looking for leaks.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook