Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Phunnel Bowl = Extremely frustrated

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 17th, 2014, 02:15 AM
gma0093
Hookah Newbie

Default Phunnel Bowl = Extremely frustrated

I am extremely frustrated withy phunnel bowl experiences and I'm finally reaching out for help. I've been smoking for a while now and tbh my bowl of choice is most definitely a vortex bowl, still use an egy here an there and smoke out of fruit bowls all the time; however, the only bowls that have given me the most trouble are Phunnel bowls. I've used Chinese ones of any and every size and even tried out a tangiers medium bowl. I tried out the deezer ice gel peach recently and had no luck. I packed it to the brim, and used heavy duty foil, poked three concentric circles and slapped on tree cocos. It sucked! It was extremely hard to pull and the smoke was wispy at best. Tried poking two holes above the spire, no luck, still too tight, then I poked two more, which led me to have no suction in the bowl and the clouds were nonexistent. I thought maybe it was the gel so I unpacked it and switched to some starbuzz. Same thing, less tight but still giving me light smoke and no flavor. Someone please help.
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:26 AM
tevas
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Phunnel Bowl = Extremely frustrated

Sounds like you are not foiling tight enough and the foil is sagging when you place your coals. Try using a bit more foil so that you can really make sure its tight. Also when you poke your holes do not just stab them, do it gently while holding the bowl near the top and keeping the foil pulled tight.
Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:32 AM
OFWGDGAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevas View Post
Sounds like you are not foiling tight enough and the foil is sagging when you place your coals. Try using a bit more foil so that you can really make sure its tight. Also when you poke your holes do not just stab them, do it gently while holding the bowl near the top and keeping the foil pulled tight.
Took the words right outa my mouth. I had this problem switching from a egy to a phunnel, now I never look back.
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:44 AM
gma0093
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFWGDGAF View Post
Took the words right outa my mouth. I had this problem switching from a egy to a phunnel, now I never look back.
I'm gonna try to be a little more careful when poking holes, but the foil itself is tight as a drum, and I keep the foil tight as I poke the holes. Could it be anything else?
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:45 AM
gma0093
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
I'll give that a shot any other suggestions?
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:48 AM
tevas
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma0093 View Post
I'll give that a shot any other suggestions?
Not really. The thing most people have the hardest time with is the foil sag. You can always take a paperclip, bend it over and put that on the spire to keep the foil from sagging.
Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:03 AM
gma0093
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Not really. The thing most people have the hardest time with is the foil sag. You can always take a paperclip, bend it over and put that on the spire to keep the foil from sagging.
Thanks a lot Man. If anything I'll post a vid and you can tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:05 AM
edwardk
Hookah Nut

Paper clip is your friend stretch it out then put one side over each side of the bowl bend the edges down and you won't have that issue. It's coming from the fact that you are not tinfoinling it hard enough or your spire might be a little high
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:30 PM
jacobaveri
Hookah Nut

Try getting a Predator bowl, it's got a little thing over the spire so the foil can't sag. Or just practice. Or get a lotus.
Honestly, phunnel bowls are the easiest bowls for me. Sorry I can't be much help.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Shuggadugga
Hookah Nut

I use different bowls for different things. For tobacco I like to fluff-pack, I use an egy or a vortex. Phunnels are my go-to for anything that can be dense packed (aside from Nak). You just need to experiment and find what works for you.

I compare bowls to turnscrews. Just because you have a Phillips doesn't mean that you won't need to use your flat head every once in a while.
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:59 PM
OFWGDGAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggadugga View Post
I compare bowls to turnscrews. Just because you have a Phillips doesn't mean that you won't need to use your flat head every once in a while.
Not using torx bits
Old February 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Archer
Banned

Phunnels are the best bowls ever, unless you use 1 of the shitty made chinese ones. What type of phunnel to you use? Also when smoking out of the phunnel its best to have really small holes poked. I use a toothpic or thumbpack for holes. It is also good to poke a larger size hole in the spire for optimum air flow That helps give you bigger clouds as well.
Old February 17th, 2014, 10:52 PM
OFWGDGAF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Phunnels are the best bowls ever, unless you use 1 of the shitty made chinese ones. What type of phunnel to you use? Also when smoking out of the phunnel its best to have really small holes poked. I use a toothpic or thumbpack for holes. It is also good to poke a larger size hole in the spire for optimum air flow That helps give you bigger clouds as well.
I usually dont put holes over the spire, I put bigger holes around the edge and smaller ones inward, in circles. I find a hole over the spire leaves less vapor and more air
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:11 AM
gma0093
Hookah Newbie

Hey guys! So I tried the paper clip method and all I can say is wow. I won't look back to ANYYYY other bowl. Thanks so much guys!
Old February 18th, 2014, 06:23 AM
tevas
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma0093 View Post
Hey guys! So I tried the paper clip method and all I can say is wow. I won't look back to ANYYYY other bowl. Thanks so much guys!
Glad you got it workin. I know how annoying it can be to have bowls you feel like you cant use, but there is always a way.
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM
tommy6404
Hookah Nut

Good to hear! Happy smoking!!!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook