Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What's the point of overpacking with foil?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 16th, 2013, 02:49 AM
jacobaveri
Hookah Nut

Default What's the point of overpacking with foil?

Okay, I know there are a lot of threads on this, so please don't just respond with a "Go to so-and-so thread."
I understand the whole, you get better flavor and clouds and the tobacco won't burn as easily since there's more of it to heat up and all that. But the general consensus seems to be that the top layer will be burned and it creates a kind of...shield for the rest of the tobacco to slowly cook under. So my real question is, why even use foil if you're just going to burn everything anyway?
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:05 AM
peek
Hookah Nut

Default Re: What's the point of overpacking with foil?

Well I don't think you'd want an open bowl with the coals sitting directly on the shisha, you still want some protection and separation between the shisha and coals and to keep the heat in

like would you want a bunch of ash in your bowl? and shisha would get stuck to the coals and actually burn and yeah it seems like a big mess without foil
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Gigs
Hookah Nut

If you're using foil I would keep the tobacco about a half a centimeter below the top of the bowl so it doesn't touch the foil as easily keep the coals on the edge of the bowl so its just heating up the bowl and doesn't burn as easily. Move the coals around every 15 - 20 minutes.

Better yet buy a Kaloud Lotus. Tobacco will stick to it and be a bit crispy by the end of your session but it's not really burnt or harsh. You won't have to move your coals all the time (I just flip mine on the side half way through mu session) and they will last longer as well.
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Gnome
Hookah Master

Q: why use foil when overpacking?
A: traps heat in, improves suctions, reduces coal flavor
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Right on
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM
jacobaveri
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Thank you for the clear answer!
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:18 PM
jacobaveri
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
If you're using foil I would keep the tobacco about a half a centimeter below the top of the bowl so it doesn't touch the foil as easily keep the coals on the edge of the bowl so its just heating up the bowl and doesn't burn as easily. Move the coals around every 15 - 20 minutes.

Better yet buy a Kaloud Lotus. Tobacco will stick to it and be a bit crispy by the end of your session but it's not really burnt or harsh. You won't have to move your coals all the time (I just flip mine on the side half way through mu session) and they will last longer as well.
I know. I don't overpack my bowl (at least, not on purpose), I was just wondering what the point is if the top layer is going to be burnt either way.

As for the Lotus, I'd probably get it if it was like...thirty dollars or so, to be honest. At the price it is, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

The ones I sent you will respond well to a simple, no-nonsense semi-dense pack in an Egyptian bowl. Don't need to do anything fancy to 'em.
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Gigs
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobaveri View Post
I know. I don't overpack my bowl (at least, not on purpose), I was just wondering what the point is if the top layer is going to be burnt either way.

As for the Lotus, I'd probably get it if it was like...thirty dollars or so, to be honest. At the price it is, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Well they sell on most sites now for $45 so if you put in a code for at least 10% off gets it down to about $40 that's close enough to 30 . To me it was worth the price when I smoke I just want to chill out and enjoy the flavour. Not mess with foiling a bowl, poking holes and around moving coals around. Call me lazy. :P

Plus I'm usually a one set of coals and done per bowl kind of guy so I like how the lotus extends the life of my coals. I use two large coco nara and get at least a good smoke for 1.5 hours and weaker smoke for a half hour after that.

But, I guess a wind cover would achieve similar results.
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:56 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

I overpack my Desi Murli and my Nakhla because I feel it gives me a great session everytime. Does it ramp up the flavour to the max, not that I have seen. I have heard people say it amplifies flavour, but for me, I havent seen that gain. It gets going a bit faster, which is fine, but it always smokes well. I am known for using enough heat on my bowl to be able to forge iron with as well as being a one and done kind of guy, and this just works for me. Everytime. No fuss, no muss and with DM especially a little baked tobacco cookie at the end.

- MustangII on IMC
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Gigs
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCarnochan View Post
I overpack my Desi Murli and my Nakhla because I feel it gives me a great session everytime. Does it ramp up the flavour to the max, not that I have seen. I have heard people say it amplifies flavour, but for me, I havent seen that gain. It gets going a bit faster, which is fine, but it always smokes well. I am known for using enough heat on my bowl to be able to forge iron with as well as being a one and done kind of guy, and this just works for me. Everytime. No fuss, no muss and with DM especially a little baked tobacco cookie at the end.
Are you using a Lotus or foil with that method? I have the cookie stuck to the lotus when I'm done. Makes cleaning the bowl easier.
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCarnochan View Post
^Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Are you using a Lotus or foil with that method? I have the cookie stuck to the lotus when I'm done. Makes cleaning the bowl easier.
Foil for overpacks, lotus nubs just touching the tobacco for when I feel lazy. I'm not gladly cleaning an overpack off of a lotus for my own amusement. Although it does work, as witnessed by some nak pistachio hugging my lotus over the weekend.

- MustangII on IMC
Old December 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
ozdrummer
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Small Voice View Post
Right on
right on right on
Share with your friends on facebook