Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How to strip nickel plating from brass?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:15 PM
gvbeflako
Hookah Newbie

Default How to strip nickel plating from brass?

Is there any safe way to do this? I want the natural brass-looking color on my Hope Leo.
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:13 AM
spike84z
Hookah Nut

Default Re: How to strip nickel plating from brass?

Well... There's muriatic acid... But that would probably attack the brass too fast for it to be worth it...

The only other method I could think of would work great on thick layered nickel. 3 parts sulfuric acid to 2 parts water by volume. The apply a positive DC charge to the stem and a lead cathode. 6 volts should be fine. Do it in an extremely well ventilated area. Preferably outside. Adding extra water will speed up the process but increase pitting on the brass. Adding 30 grams/litre of copper sulfate will reduce pitting on the brass.

Something like dilute hydrochloric acid MAY work on thin layers.. never tried it.

Figured I would make something alittle more clear. Muriatic acid is the same as hydrochloric acid. The only reason I used both names, is because the second is diluted. And I have never seen it listed as diluted muriatic acid where it was easily accessible.

DISCLAIMER: although the information I have given is accurate I am in no way responsible for any bodily harm, loss or damage of property, or any other such liability. It is the sole responsibility of who ever uses this information to take the proper safety precautions. I am in no way responsible for your stem if it ruins it.

If you want to search it further, search for "stripping nickel".

Last edited by spike84z; August 27th, 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: clarification.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Moeeyy
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike84z View Post
Well... There's muriatic acid... But that would probably attack the brass too fast for it to be worth it...

The only other method I could think of would work great on thick layered nickel. 3 parts sulfuric acid to 2 parts water by volume. The apply a positive DC charge to the stem and a lead cathode. 6 volts should be fine. Do it in an extremely well ventilated area. Preferably outside. Adding extra water will speed up the process but increase pitting on the brass. Adding 30 grams/litre of copper sulfate will reduce pitting on the brass.

Something like dilute hydrochloric acid MAY work on thin layers.. never tried it.

Figured I would make something alittle more clear. Muriatic acid is the same as hydrochloric acid. The only reason I used both names, is because the second is diluted. And I have never seen it listed as diluted muriatic acid where it was easily accessible.

DISCLAIMER: although the information I have given is accurate I am in no way responsible for any bodily harm, loss or damage of property, or any other such liability. It is the sole responsibility of who ever uses this information to take the proper safety precautions. I am in no way responsible for your stem if it ruins it.

If you want to search it further, search for "stripping nickel".
Great chemistry lesson!
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM
TheHappyHookah
Hookah Nut

Wow! I think it's awesome that Walter White smokes hookah!

#breakingbad
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:28 AM
danabicidan
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyHookah View Post

#breakingbad
HA! I was thinking the same thing lol
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
SmokyMcHookason
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyHookah View Post

#breakingbad
Ditto!
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Leargle
Hookah Newbie

I think even if you do strip it, you might not be pleased with the results. You'll likely be damaging the detail on the body of the stem, and as stated, it's possible for pitting to occur on the brass if you don't do it perfectly.
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM
spike84z
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leargle View Post
I think even if you do strip it, you might not be pleased with the results. You'll likely be damaging the detail on the body of the stem, and as stated, it's possible for pitting to occur on the brass if you don't do it perfectly.
Pitting will more than likely occur even if done properly. It's to what extent that matters.

I'm sure a Chrome shop could dip it and take the nickel off then polish the stem to get rid of what little pitting that may occour for relatively cheap. The only reason I do this at home, is I work with large parts, and Chrome plating started to cost to much so I learnt to do as much as possible in house... No reason you couldn't do it, but the window for error is very minute. What ever you decide though, good luck.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook