Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Smile I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Hello btw, I'm Jennifer and I am new to the site as a member. Always loved finding answer's to my questions, and finally made an account! Well avid hookah smoker, literally 2-3x times a day - no life....oh well - hookah makes me happy. I have a mya with a plastic base, seems like the had some cracks though, was leaking water slowly but pretty bad. Bought some super clue, sealed from the outside - you think that was a good idea? Or is my schizophrenic a$$ going to think I'm dying later from using the glue? I attached what I did, and what it usually looks like! Hope ya'll can help, thanks so much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG4241.jpg   IMG3700.jpg  
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Evilcon666's Avatar
Evilcon666
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 4,836
Default

I don't think it would be an issue or a hazard as long as it is the vase. Seeing how the vase doesn't reach any temperatures that would turn the glue into a vapor. I could be wrong though. More then likely it's no issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilcon666 View Post
I don't think it would be an issue or a hazard as long as it is the vase. Seeing how the vase doesn't reach any temperatures that would turn the glue into a vapor. I could be wrong though. More then likely it's no issue.
Thank you! I usually put ice in it...I just had no idea how to fix it - I should have used something else - but in a hurry I just grabbed super glue
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Jonesies's Avatar
Jonesies
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart, IN or Flint, MI or Seatac, WA
Posts: 5,731
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

I had a similar vase with a similar issue, i made a few attempts at trying to seal it using a solder iron, but it never worked well. i eventually got bored and just destroyed it lol.

As far as superglue, it should be fine for that application, where you glued doesnt contact anything that could make it to your face/lungs, so i figure you're oll korrekt.
__________________
I like my tobacco like I like my women, sweet and low maintenance. This is why I smoke Nakhla.

PM The_boo for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Well I'm smoking it now, still leaking - You don't think it made it is seeping into the water could it? Well...let's hope not...omg?!?
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:30 PM
ryuuhouse's Avatar
ryuuhouse
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 947
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Probably not going to be 'seeping' into the water. But leaking out.. another issue. Sounds like you need to be looking for a replacement.

And welcome to the forums.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Mrmoosestuff's Avatar
Mrmoosestuff
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wimberley, Texas
Posts: 374
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

You can find a replacement base at hookah-shisha. I had the same base with the same problem and I superglued it. Just make sure you cure it at least 3 hours - one day depending on the super glue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Watermelon
Status: Offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Almighty Earth ...USA
Posts: 321
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

nice pool

!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Jonesies's Avatar
Jonesies
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart, IN or Flint, MI or Seatac, WA
Posts: 5,731
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

honestly just get a glass vase lol, like i said, i tried melting the plastic and that didnt work. if you have a threaded stem measure the widest part of the threading and make sure you get a vase with a wider opening than that
__________________
I like my tobacco like I like my women, sweet and low maintenance. This is why I smoke Nakhla.

PM The_boo for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
HellSpawn's Avatar
HellSpawn
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,391
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

It shouldn't be an issue since you aren't heating it. Super glue would be a horrible idea for something like the bowl since it is heated at high temperatures. Personally, I'd just buy a new, preferably glass, vase instead of monkeying around with the one you have, it'll just be much easier in the long run.

Oh and welcome to HP.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Everyone was correct! Super Glue....no goood - So what does an egyptian hookah addict do at 10pm at night --- nearest Arab gas station and pay $20 for this little piece of...well...- let's just say it'll get me through the night! THanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG4245.jpg   IMG4247.jpg   IMG4248.jpg  
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSpawn View Post
It shouldn't be an issue since you aren't heating it. Super glue would be a horrible idea for something like the bowl since it is heated at high temperatures. Personally, I'd just buy a new, preferably glass, vase instead of monkeying around with the one you have, it'll just be much easier in the long run.

Oh and welcome to HP.
Thanks for the welcome btw,
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:57 PM
Springfield03's Avatar
Springfield03
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

First of all, welcome to HookahPro! Secondly, I would suggest finding a new base. On principle, I don't think you should use super glue on a hookah to fix anything, simply replace it. Keep it in optimal shape. There are many threads on what hookahs are good for beginners, and even more info in the search bar.

Happy smoking.
__________________
"Cigarettes are for nervous people, competitive people, people on the run. When you smoke a narghile, you have time to think. It teaches you patience and tolerance, and gives you an appreciation of good company. Narghile smokers have a much more balanced approach to life than cigarette smokers."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Egyptian1987's Avatar
Egyptian1987
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA! TX!
Posts: 7
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield03 View Post
First of all, welcome to HookahPro! Secondly, I would suggest finding a new base. On principle, I don't think you should use super glue on a hookah to fix anything, simply replace it. Keep it in optimal shape. There are many threads on what hookahs are good for beginners, and even more info in the search bar.

Happy smoking.
Thank you I replaced it - middle of the night - but it'll get me until the morning until I can get my Mya!
__________________
Egyptian Sweets
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:45 AM
Leadfoot's Avatar
Leadfoot
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 260
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

No.

So my friend broke his beautiful base one day. It sat in his room for a long time and one day when I was leaving I took it with me. I glued it with super glue at first but then though about it and it didn't seem like a smart move. Sure enough, superglue corrodes in water. So I set it in water for a good fifteen hours and it gradually fell apart.. except for one piece. I tried to pull the piece off and cut my hand deep, not very long, but deep. Next day, after stitches, I re-glued it with silicon sealant.

Too make a long and only barely relevant story short. Put it in water, wait for it too fall apart and re-glue with silicon sealant. If that's too much trouble, buy a better vase.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
Juggy's Avatar
Juggy
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The world
Posts: 4,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
No.

So my friend broke his beautiful base one day. It sat in his room for a long time and one day when I was leaving I took it with me. I glued it with super glue at first but then though about it and it didn't seem like a smart move. Sure enough, superglue corrodes in water. So I set it in water for a good fifteen hours and it gradually fell apart.. except for one piece. I tried to pull the piece off and cut my hand deep, not very long, but deep. Next day, after stitches, I re-glued it with silicon sealant.

Too make a long and only barely relevant story short. Put it in water, wait for it too fall apart and re-glue with silicon sealant. If that's too much trouble, buy a better vase.
^This
Probably cheaper on money and time and stress as well!
__________________
When I come to power, run!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:21 AM
ryuuhouse's Avatar
ryuuhouse
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 947
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
^This
Probably cheaper on money and time and stress as well!
Not to mention the stitches.. .OUCHIE
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
gordy
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 796
Default

I would put glue on the outside preferably something that dries in a few minutes then suck it into the crack by putting your mouth on the opening of the base
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Jonesies's Avatar
Jonesies
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart, IN or Flint, MI or Seatac, WA
Posts: 5,731
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
I would put glue on the outside preferably something that dries in a few minutes then suck it into the crack by putting your mouth on the opening of the base
not to say anything about the abilities of anyone on this forum, but you would have to be pretty good at sucking to pull glue into those cracks. like, not just golf ball through a garden hose, like full industrial grade vacuum.
__________________
I like my tobacco like I like my women, sweet and low maintenance. This is why I smoke Nakhla.

PM The_boo for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM
gordy
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post

not to say anything about the abilities of anyone on this forum, but you would have to be pretty good at sucking to pull glue into those cracks. like, not just golf ball through a garden hose, like full industrial grade vacuum.
well if the crack is big enough to leak water... no not really
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jonesies's Avatar
Jonesies
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart, IN or Flint, MI or Seatac, WA
Posts: 5,731
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
well if the crack is big enough to leak water... no not really
Yes really. I had the same problem she has, its a poor joint in the seem between the bottom of the vase and the walls. Like, on a micron level size of crack. The ones i had weren't distinguishable from the rest of the seem. I highly doubt you'd be able to pull glue into the seem by sucking on the vase with your mouth. If nothing else my doubts stem from the volume of air youd have to displace from the vase. It has to go somewhere, and your body isnt a compressor, its not just going to expel that gas into the environment.
__________________
I like my tobacco like I like my women, sweet and low maintenance. This is why I smoke Nakhla.

PM The_boo for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
glostersa's Avatar
glostersa
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Africa Kempton Park
Posts: 5,499
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

http://www.myasaray.com/store/item.a...PARTMENT_ID=36

The answer to your problem and it is a Boho vase made for Mya Hookahs
__________________
***Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says Oh shit he is awake***
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM
gordy
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 796
Default

Well what about covering the bottom of the base with glue from the inside but alot of glue
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Jonesies's Avatar
Jonesies
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Elkhart, IN or Flint, MI or Seatac, WA
Posts: 5,731
Default Re: I just Super Glued the cracks in my base, Is this okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
Well what about covering the bottom of the base with glue from the inside but alot of glue
i think ways to fix this vase aside, op is better off getting a new vase. Sealing caulk would probably be the best for this, but isnt going to look that great.
__________________
I like my tobacco like I like my women, sweet and low maintenance. This is why I smoke Nakhla.

PM The_boo for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old June 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
gordy
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Israel
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post

i think ways to fix this vase aside, op is better off getting a new vase. Sealing caulk would probably be the best for this, but isnt going to look that great.
I would say epoxy
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Tags
base, cracks, glue

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i super glued my vortex bowl but... hdwindex Hookah Discussion 28 March 4th, 2014 08:34 PM
KM hose glued on - removal? Trueg115 Hookah Discussion 6 December 11th, 2012 03:07 AM
Km base slight cracks Mark1988 Hookah Discussion 9 April 22nd, 2012 08:41 PM
Cracks In a Ceramic Vortex? HookahWoltar Hookah Discussion 11 January 30th, 2010 09:41 AM
Removing Glued Tips(Razan Maxura) CypherEnigma Hookah Discussion 5 January 10th, 2010 12:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.