Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How long does it take to get accustomed to the effects of tobacco?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Default How long does it take to get accustomed to the effects of tobacco?

Hey guys,

So I have been smoking herbal for the last 4 months or so. The main reason being that tobacco is so expensive and extremely difficult to access in Toronto. However, i bought some AF Cafe Latte yesterday to try out. I wont even mention how much I paid lol. Anyways, I fluff packed it in my small egy. Not compressed at all, but i made sure it was even. Single layer of precut foil. 2 coconaras. KM Kafe. I'm sure the coals were fully lit. I had the coals on regular hanging off the edges at first. Started to get a bit harsh, so i stonehenged them. Was still a bit harsh, so i purged and took a coal off. Continued smoking, the clouds were not thick at all. I was smoking maybe one pull per minute or so. It was a small room but I had a window and door open as usual. I often smoke in my room and i usually manage the CO properly. As the coals were nearing a 1cm cube, i started to feel nauseous. I put down the hose and ended my session. I even ate and drank water before, and during the session. I felt nauseous till i fell asleep. Is this just my body being sensitive to nicotine, as I'm not a cig smoker? Will i get used to the nicotine?
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Alby
Hookah Master

Default Re: How long does it take to get accustomed to the effects of tobacco?

I guess this is the one time I'll ask if your coals are fully lit.
Also, eat and drink plenty beforehand.
Also, you might be sensitive to nicotine and there is such a thing as allergies to it.
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

was it making you cough or just like tickley/prickly/tingly in your throat?

PM The_boo for more information.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post
was it making you cough or just like tickley/prickly/tingly in your throat?
No, no. It was not harsh enough to cough, a little bit tingly i guess.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

af has something called a throat tickle i believe, though i dont have experience smoking it. as for the naseau, listen to alby, and maybe your af was counterfeit?

PM The_boo for more information.
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:49 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Yeah i followed that advice. I don't think the AF was counterfeit. They have a small beige colour, non resealable bag inside the box, right?
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:50 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

I may try again. I did notice that when i took the foil off, some tobacco was blackened and stuck to the foil. So burning could have been the cause. I may try a slightly more packed bowl and a larger gab between the tobacco and foil next time.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM
SpoonTunage
Hookah Nut

First off you should smoke af out of a funnel bowl, or at least a vortex.

Second af has throat tickle which can be eliminated by packing it dense, which will be nearly impossible in an egyption bowl since it will severely block the air flow.

Lastly af is a washed tobacco, therefor the nicotine content is extremely low and should not create any nausia.

In the end I would try packing it again in a funnel or vortex. Pack it as dense as possible to eliminate the throat tickle. Make sure you manage the heat properly. Hope this helps you out and corrects your problem.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:46 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonTunage View Post

Second af has throat tickle which can be eliminated by packing it dense, which will be nearly impossible in an egyption bowl since it will severely block the air flow.

Lastly af is a washed tobacco, therefor the nicotine content is extremely low and should not create any nausia.

In the end I would try packing it again in a funnel or vortex. Pack it as dense as possible to eliminate the throat tickle. Make sure you manage the heat properly. Hope this helps you out and corrects your problem.

Thank you sir. I will wait and try it again when my crown micro comes in. I didnt want to use it with my vortex cause i only had 50g and the vortex is quite large. I have had zero problems managing heat with herbal for the last 4 months. obviously, i know they are different but thats just to explain that im not a complete noob with the coals.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
SpoonTunage
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekelvin92 View Post
Thank you sir. I will wait and try it again when my crown micro comes in. I didnt want to use it with my vortex cause i only had 50g and the vortex is quite large. I have had zero problems managing heat with herbal for the last 4 months. obviously, i know they are different but thats just to explain that im not a complete noob with the coals.
No problem, hope I could help. Good luck.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Melvin
Hookah Master

I would say about 3 minuets .
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:56 PM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

AF is low in nicotine but to someone who has never touched tobacco before,it could very well cause nausea. I think you underpacked/ packed too lossely. I slightly overpack AF in an egyptian just a bit above the rim of the bowl sprinked in, then it gets pushed down with the foil Ive never had a problwm with AF touching the foil, you may want to let the coals sit for 1-2 minutes on the bowl before taking a pull, let the sizzling quiet down. Best of luck. If you are completely new to tobacco any nicotine could make you feel sick so just take it slow. tolerance will build steadily over time. good luck!
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin View Post
I would say about 3 minuets .
yep three minutes of coasting the hose with a bowl of zag, then your good to go
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Kombucha
Hookah Nut

Ive been smoking for a while and can still get a buzz from af. I also find that if i put too much heat on then i cant take big draws, get throat tickle and more likely to get buzzed from it. Also if u dont smoke cigs then its entirely possible that you are sensitive to the nicotine. My first time smoking was nak da and my buzz lasted for like 8 hrs. My best results with an egy was to sprinkle it in then just make sure its all right up to the rim of the bowl but low enough that the foil wont touch. Lightly use ur finger to make sure its below the rim. Too little tobacco will give a throat tickle. I used standard alcan foil for years, just make sure its super tight and smooth. Poke your holes, then retighten the foil in case it sagged when poking the holes. Put 2 fully lit cocos on opposite edges and let it sit for 5-10 min depending if u have a windcover or not. Hit it every so often and if u are sensitive to nicotine forget trying to blow rings cause that can also give u more of a buzz. I sure hope you didnt get this from db

Sent by carrier pigeon.

|33" KM Pharonie||Fancy Hose||Crown Micro/Tang Small||Coconara's||Cane Mint|
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:10 PM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombucha View Post
Ive been smoking for a while and can still get a buzz from af. I also find that if i put too much heat on then i cant take big draws, get throat tickle and more likely to get buzzed from it. Also if u dont smoke cigs then its entirely possible that you are sensitive to the nicotine. My first time smoking was nak da and my buzz lasted for like 8 hrs. My best results with an egy was to sprinkle it in then just make sure its all right up to the rim of the bowl but low enough that the foil wont touch. Lightly use ur finger to make sure its below the rim. Too little tobacco will give a throat tickle. I used standard alcan foil for years, just make sure its super tight and smooth. Poke your holes, then retighten the foil in case it sagged when poking the holes. Put 2 fully lit cocos on opposite edges and let it sit for 5-10 min depending if u have a windcover or not. Hit it every so often and if u are sensitive to nicotine forget trying to blow rings cause that can also give u more of a buzz. I sure hope you didnt get this from db

Sent by carrier pigeon.
ive been smoking heavily, couple bowls a day for over a half year now and AF still gives me a buzz with the first few draws then goes away
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:23 PM
kaje watkins
Hookah Nut

It usually varies, although, if it IS your first time, you might get a slight nicotine buzz, and possible 'hookah sickness.' Slowly work yourself up to it, puff slowly, and softly at first. And take your time. Then speed up to fast, strong pulls. (Unwashed Tobacco.) Same for upgrading from washed to unwashed tobacco, then from Tangiers.

Sent from your bathroom using your toilet.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:25 PM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombucha View Post

Sent by carrier pigeon.
Yeah I was definitely getting a buzz. Probably should have tried to blow rings though haha. So that could have been what overdid it. I'll def make sure its below the rim next time. But i'll be able to pack it dense when the micro comes in. Foil was perfect. and yepp i let it sit for a bit before. and NO i didnt get it from DB haha. I dont think i will ever go back to DB.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Evilcon666
Hookah Master

I used to smoke cigars on occasion back a few years ago. Then I stopped smoking altogether. It didn't take to long for me to get re-accustomed to the nicotine again.

Sent from Blood Gulch Outpost #1 using Forum Runner
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Kombucha
Hookah Nut

Dont worry dude once u get ur crown and i get my shipment ill sort u out. You wont go back to smoking sugarcane herbal once you are used to the popular brands.

Sent by carrier pigeon.

|33" KM Pharonie||Fancy Hose||Crown Micro/Tang Small||Coconara's||Cane Mint|
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Colbz13
Banned

Looks like a wealth of good advice here.

I might reinforce that al fakher must not be underpacked. That's a huge culprit of throat tickle. As long as its not underpacked and not too loose in the bowl, it should smoke good.. Just give it plenty of time to cook after you throw the coals on. If you still get throat tickle, follow all these guide lines after using a paper towel to soak up the juices right before you load your bowl. AF uses a what I believe to be a low grade glycerine and so soaking that up will reduce throat tickle. If you still get throat tickle following all these guidelines, let the tobacco cook in the bowl for about 20 minutes before taking a hit.

Some flavors of AF can be overpacked like nakhla with very good results. Those flavors (my experience): mint, gum, gum/mint, lemon/mint.

The al fakher herbals are not too bad although the "cut" of it is very weird.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:13 AM
FourOhOne
Hookah Newbie

Try switching to HD foil. It really helped my heat management on my small egyptian bowl. I never do the paper towel thing, and until recently always used the egyptian.

On my small egyptian (about 1 and a half quarter width from walls of the bowl). I use 2 Starlight coals on the edge. I pack it fairly well. Not packed down like tangiers, but its not entirely fluff. As for the airflow I tend to poke 2-4 holes all the way through from foil through the holes and that seems to keep it unrestricted.
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:12 AM
leekelvin92
Hookah Pro

Thanks for the help guys. The little throat tickle wasn't my main problem with this session. Biggest problem was the nausea associated
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:24 AM
oxidizedtower
Hookah Enthusiast

i still get queezy from time to time, off of AF specifically, its typically all I smoke, but 9 times out of 10 ill be fine, and though it is washed, AF can pack one hell of a buzz from time to time. this may go against some of the other posts, but i get the best results out of AF when i take big full pulls, i get that throat tickle from light pulls.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Alby
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonTunage View Post

Sorry to sound like a douche, but your main points are all flawed.
One, I only smoke AF out of an Egyptian. I never touch my other 12 bowls.
Two, the throat tickle is heat management usually. I used to get it all the time no matter what but now that i learned i never get it.
Three, washed tobacco still has some nicotine and there are individuals on this planet who are more sensitive than others. Comparing to a similar alkaloid compound, caffeine; there are people who exhibit signs of heavy poisoning at levels less than 5% the LD50.
To me it could be a combination of sensitivity and burning tobacco. But since it wasn't like smoking a firepit, I doubt it's just the burning tobacco alone.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Moe's Hooka Bar
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbz13 View Post
Looks like a wealth of good advice here.

let the tobacco cook in the bowl for about 20 minutes before taking a hit.
20 mins sounds a bit excessive though!

Af .05 nicotine, Nak .5 nicotine.
Share with your friends on facebook