Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Opinions on my fruit bowls

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:10 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default Opinions on my fruit bowls

Honest opinions and critiques on my fruit bowls and how they stack up against lounges and fruit bowls you've seen in general. I'm trying to get better.

Old September 25th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: Opinions on my fruit bowls

That's gorgeous man! Can you actually get good smoke out of them? Some seem pretty impractical.
Old September 25th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Hookah Newbie

All of the designs i've done so far, have smoked well. I made these for the lounge i work at in San Diego (The Hookah Lab) so they had to be functional, otherwise i wouldn't be able to sell them. Thanks for the feedback.
Old September 26th, 2015, 08:32 AM
Hookah Master

lovely, however i do gotta say, lounges sell things all the time that dont function very well lol. I am glad to see no QLs in the pic =p
Gnomes love hookah - Look for me in the member video section
Old September 26th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Fearless Smoker
Hookah Nut

I got the weirdest boner right now.

These things must be pretty pricey.
Old September 28th, 2015, 06:43 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Since you're asking about opportunities for improvement, I won't insult you by fawning over the pretty pictures. Instead, I will offer a few suggestions. They're not meant as insults or attacks, but as tips for personal and professional growth. If you're looking for someone to coddle you and blow smoke up your ass, stop reading right here.

Much of the produce is overkill. I'd rather see a tasteful and well-crafted piece composed of a few simple elements than to see four pounds of poor quality produce piled in heaps around a pipe. I'm sorry if that comes across a bit blunt.

1. Make sure what you're using is appropriate. A few examples:

- Make a honeydew melon base and a mango head. Pack the head with 2 parts Salloum Mango, 1 part Mizo Blueberry and 1 part AF Mint. Garnish with blueberries, raspberries, sliced mangoes and a few sprigs of mint.

- Make a cantaloupe base, make a head of equal parts AF Vanilla, AF Mint and AF Mint With Gum. Garnish with plums, cherries and a few sprigs of mint. If you want to use your orchids, they would be appropriate here (vanilla comes from orchids).

- Make a head from a slightly under-ripe nectarine. Pack the head with a mixture of 3 parts Mizo Raspberry and 1 part AF Cardamom. Garnish with nectarine wedges, blueberries and raspberries. Some Champagne grapes cascading from the ashtray would be a nice addition.

- Make a head packed with 2 parts Nakhla Brandy, 1 part Vanilla and 1 part AF Cinnamon. Garnish with red plums, quartered mission figs and a few cinnamon sticks.

Note that in these examples, the garnishes all harmonize with the tobacco selections. They have a reason to be there. I can't think of any popular tobaccos that would pair well with broccoli, kale and blueberries, or artichokes and seamrogs, etc.

2. Make sure you're using quality produce. Among other things, the broccoli and finocchio in the pictures are old and the parsley was improperly stored. If you want to save money, just use less. Don't cheap out on quality. It reflects on the entire operation. Another way to save money is to serve the usable waste- for instance, make a simple ginger-lime gastrique and serve it over the melon and mango that was hollowed out from the base and head in the first example. Garnish with the left over raspberries and blueberries. Sell it as a fruit salad and you will recover the cost of the produce.

3. Get a few good knives and spend some time working on your knife skills. Instead of using a stainless steel utensil canister as a stand for your melon, cut a ring from a second melon. It can be the same type of melon or a different variety. You can VanDyke the melon ring on one side or both if you want to. Again, keep the melon flesh, dress it, garnish it and sell it. In the long run, it will be more cost-effective than buying broccoli from the "reduced for quick sale" display.

Do some relief carving on the melons. Most melons have layers of color and look spectacular when carved. For example, a watermelon has variegated green skin with a layer of white underneath. If you carve through the green, the white will show through and provide a nice contrast. If you carve deeper, the red will show through and give a red/white/green effect. It will have far more impact than some broccoli stalks, kale and wilted fennel fronds.

These three tips are a good starting point. Work on them and you'll come a long way towards tasteful, elegant and harmonious presentations.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and post some pics of what you come up with!
Friggin JTI
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

art, fruit bowls, hookah, shisha