Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

So got my first hookah. Some advice?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 6th, 2013, 02:59 AM
LouWega
Hookah Newbie

Question So got my first hookah. Some advice?

This is my first post (not the first time in the site but still...) so Hi!

So yeah, I finally got my hands on a nice hookah for my personal use, it's a 27in Aladin Loop (An egyptian hookah if I am not mistaken) with a basic egyptian bowl. I would like to get some advice from you on a few matters:

Where I live there are very few moassel brands to choose from like nakhla, hydro herbal and some "cheap not very appealing" tobbaco brands (no starbuzz, al fahker or tangiers). So, what are the best flavors to choose from these? Or should I make my own moassel? (I like making stuff myself).

Also, with my hookah I got a pack of QL's but I decided to buy a small box of coco nara natural coals. What is the best way of lighting these? (I tried putting one on my stove burner but it didn't light at all).

Finally, I dislike cigarettes a lot so you might understand the "fear" of getting hooked on nicotine by smoking actual tobacco. I already know some of your answers ("Don't be a sissy", "Tobbaco has THE flavor"...) but, you know, there must be a way not to get "that much" of nicotine into the system so, any words on that? I won't be stubborn on that matter, just trying to make the best of the hookah experience.

Any other advice or tips are very much apreciated.

Thanks!! Enjoy your smoke!
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Colbz13
Banned

Nak will work best in the egy bowl. Do they have the Mizo line? Screw hydro, it has almost no flavor.

Also hookah does not output much nicotine and 99% of us on here agree we aren't addicted to smoking hookah. It's more of a ritual for a lot of us. Hookah is a rather inefficient way to deliver what little nicotine is actually in the shisha. You may get a little buzz from nicotine. Nothing to worry about. I often go a few days without smokin hookah and I don't smoke cigs but sometimes I smoke hookah every day if I have time.
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Colbz13
Banned

Oh and to light the coals you have to turn your burner on the highest setting. Wait 6 minutes and flip it over. 4 minutes more and it's done
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:35 AM
smithers
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to smithers
Default Re: So got my first hookah. Some advice?

Can't go wrong with most nak flavored and best way to light cocos is on a hot plate. Which you can get from walgreens or rite aid(if you have one near you) for 10-20 bucks
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:39 AM
LouWega
Hookah Newbie

Well, so nakhla it is. I got a "Cosmopolitan Nakhla Mix" free with my hookah so I will trying that really soon. To date I had only tried Hydro and some steam stones (I don't hate them) but I really think I am missing something good out of "fear" (if you might call it that).
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Colbz13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouWega View Post
Well, so nakhla it is. I got a "Cosmopolitan Nakhla Mix" free with my hookah so I will trying that really soon. To date I had only tried Hydro and some steam stones (I don't hate them) but I really think I am missing something good out of "fear" (if you might call it that).
Smoking real tobacco like nakhla out of a hookah is gives me a sense of satisfaction. When I smoke hydro (dr.23 or Kali drizzle are the only two I like), I never get that feeling of satisfaction.
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Penguinstuffi
Hookah Newbie

As a personal who just bought my own hookah not too long ago I think I can tell you a couple of things.

Read the forums, give you plenty of insight and answers most of your questions.
If you're smoking wetter tobacco such as AF or starbuzz, get a Vortex(Sahara Smoke) or a phunnel to prevent the juices from leaking.
Let the coal bake the bowl a bit before you start smoking
I got a single coil electric burner/ hot plate from wallgreenes for under $20 works fantastic.
Don't wash your hose unless you're 100% sure it's washable or get a nuhose they're awesome and are cheap.
Learn to pack well it's an art, also learn proper heat management.
Clean your Hookah after every session.
Use a wind cover.
Nakhla is awesome.

Lastly I doubt you'll be addicted to nicotine. I smoke cigarettes occassionally and I usually don't get buzzed or at most very lightly(from hookah). Also I don't crave hookah like cigarettes so there's that
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:14 AM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

If you are new to smoking and not a smoker of other tobaccos, the NAK will probably knock you on your ass...take it slow and don't hoover the hose! Make sure to drink plenty of water and eat before smoking. If you are looking for less nicotine try some washed brands, you can find them online. Check out our supported vendors, many of them offer discounts to HP members that can be found under the vendor discount page. Most of the members here will agree that starbuzz is over rated and not a go to brand, but try AF or Fumari as both are washed tobacco and have good flavor.
The hookah itself must first become a thought. The thought of hookah must be allowed to become a living, breathing, growing entity. Then that entity can take a physical form which we as mere mortals will be able to gain an understanding of.
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
MuRdErEd_OuT
Hookah Newbie

If you cannot get that good of flavors locally just purchase online
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM
TheMasterMatt
Hookah Aficionado

Nak has a lot of good flavors you wont be disappointed
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Moe's Hooka Bar
Hookah Enthusiast

Over pack the Nak for best flavour results..drink 'sip' water... always know where your tongs are because you will drop a coal or two on the carpet and don't hover the hose..and have sme pills ready for a 'headache' from hell if you happen to get too much co in your brain.. happy hookahing bro and welcome..oh yea.. invest in a pro lounge hose, it's awsome
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
cyber wolf
Hookah Guru

Great info from everyone here so far. Also remember to light ur coals all the way to avoid co poisening
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Colbz13
Banned

Usually I won't smoke until my body is fully hydrated and I am peeing every 30 minutes or so. And sip while you smoke. And keep some Advil around. Headaches happen it's very unfortunate part of smoking
Old January 6th, 2013, 03:25 PM
gagli011
Hookah Enthusiast

Definitely try Nakhla. Stove burner is the best way to light natural coals. Lighter will not work.

No worries about the nicotine. It's there but you're not going to get addicted, and the amount in hookah is nowhere near the amount in a cigarette. If it is even possible to get addicted to nicotine through smoking hookah, you'd have to smoke all LOT. More than most people have time for.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook