Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Travelling With Hookah

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
SubmersedShelf8
Hookah Nut

Default Travelling With Hookah

I am going to be heading to Italy sometime it August. On top of wanting to hit a few Italian hookah lounges for fun, I want to bring my mya QT with me.

What I am wondering is this: Will the TSA or customs give me a hard time for having a strange looking pipe in my possession? I don't plan on having it in my carry-on. I just want it for when i am there and potentially post a review while I'm there. Idk I'm silly I guess.

Moving on, has anyone travelled with their hookah overseas? Any problems presented? Anything I should know before doing it? Perhaps it just isn't worht the worry? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM
edilclyde
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Travelling With Hookah

not overseas , just Los angles to pheonix. My first trip i put it in my carry on and had problems. They had to open it up and everything. It was a hassle. going back home i put it in my luggage and it was smoother. so, if ever, put it in your luggage.
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
TruBrew
Hookah Newbie

I Just carried one back from Israel in my luggage and had no problems. I declared it on my customs form and they did not say anything about it.
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to nerdy

I haven't had any problems flying with my hookahs, big or small. If you put it in your checked bags, it shouldn't be a problem. TSA usually looks for a quick second and keep it moving. Only once have I been pulled to the side and checked, but it was for some cans of Babaganoush that I bought from an import Middle Eastern store in a very small hick airport. JFK or BOS never looked twice.
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Blithej
Hookah Nut

You should be fine. They may check your baggage but transporting a hookah isn't illegal so you'll be fine.

Anyways buon viaggio!
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Klepto254
Hookah Pro

I was wondering this too what about taking tobacco through customs?

32" KM ceramica-41" KM triple trimetal-34" Regal Melech-11" MYA Bambino
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM
SubmersedShelf8
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy View Post
I haven't had any problems flying with my hookahs, big or small. If you put it in your checked bags, it shouldn't be a problem. TSA usually looks for a quick second and keep it moving. Only once have I been pulled to the side and checked, but it was for some cans of Babaganoush that I bought from an import Middle Eastern store in a very small hick airport. JFK or BOS never looked twice.

Good to know I shouldn't hit any speed bumps. I am very excited to do a couple reviews on how lounges are in Italy. Though I am sure they are not much different from out here. Wonder if there are any Italian types of shisha that might be specific to Italy. Never know...

Thanks for all of the replies guys! I love how on here there is virtually and answer to every question. Lol.
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:26 AM
rrandomhero
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepto254
I was wondering this too what about taking tobacco through customs?
You may hit a snag there if its over a certain amount, not really sure what the law is on that, you might want to call the airline and customs to try and get better information on that.

As for OPs question, I've only taken it when we drive somewhere but of you were flying with it is make sure you pack it REALLY well with lots of padding. Those employees don't give a shit what's in your bag and just throw them around, there would be nothing worse than getting there to find you had a broken base with no way to replace it till you get home/glass shards all over everything else in your luggage
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
SubmersedShelf8
Hookah Nut

Yeah, I was planning on padding the shit outta it. I would die if I got there and had a broken base. Maybe I will call the airlines to get a bit more information and make a post with the info I get.

I could have done that to begin with, but I thought this was easier than fighting an automated system to get a hold of someone there. Haha.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook